Rules Reminder

Rules have been updated (rule 12).

In addition, a reminder of rule 1

We are striving to be a Sim league, that is, to try to play as teams do in the NFL. Therefore, play calling should reflect that in your games. If you wouldn't see it in the NFL, you probably shouldn't be seeing it in these league games

An example of this is using realistic defensive formations. For example, the offense comes out in 2WR, TE, 2HB formation. It's 1st down. A typical run formation. We don't expect to see the defence come out in a quarters 3 man deep formation and audible to a 3-4 formation as they are setting up. Not only is this unrealistic, the audible causes a safety to take the place of a DE on the line. It can happen by mistake that you pick the wrong play, but seeing it repeatedly in the game points towards something else.

• Group:  Member
  • Content Count:  1,113
  • Timezone:  Europe/London

What type of an advantage would this give the defence? Haven't noticed anyone doing it but thought if you run against a 3-4 with a safety in it it'd be good for the offence?

What type of an advantage would this give the defence? Haven't noticed anyone doing it but thought if you run against a 3-4 with a safety in it it'd be good for the offence?

Apparently not.

• Content Count:  3,863

Please also take note of the slight adjustment to rule 9. Epic drop backs will not be acceptable this year.

• Content Count:  2,663

I think the reason why people do it is because some teams have 2rbs in their empty trey formation or people sub it to be like that. I know yesterday I was playing someone who was the Saints and his empty trey was Sproles, Colston, Graham, Pierre Thomas and whoever their second WR is although can't think who it is as not Meacham no more. As a result I occasionally would come out in Quarters when he was doing Strong I and so had to audible. Now your saying i have to come out in a standard formation if I suspect he's using empty trey or not audible out as my Safety would go to DE?

My bad, just seen it says 3 Deep formation, that would be stupid unless in a 3rd and forever situation.

What it means is you can call whatever play you like, but you need to stick with that personnel decision.

If you want to audible to a blitz or cover 3 our whatever, that's fine. What you can't do is audible to a completely different formation which puts players way out of position (like fs at dt). It wouldn't happen in the nfl.

If you really don't like the match up, call a time out.

I think the reason why people do it is because some teams have 2rbs in their empty trey formation or people sub it to be like that. I know yesterday I was playing someone who was the Saints and his empty trey was Sproles, Colston, Graham, Pierre Thomas and whoever their second WR is although can't think who it is as not Meacham no more. As a result I occasionally would come out in Quarters when he was doing Strong I and so had to audible. Now your saying i have to come out in a standard formation if I suspect he's using empty trey or not audible out as my Safety would go to DE?

My bad, just seen it says 3 Deep formation, that would be stupid unless in a 3rd and forever situation.

The reason it come up is that we have had reports of people not exactly being creative in their defensive play calling the same formation over and over then changing down to a 3-4. What you are doing is trying to combat an opponent trying to fool you. I have no issue with that whatsoever.

• Content Count:  1,303

Also the QB option do we have a ruling on how often is acceptable :g:

FYI Griffin scrambled 10 times tonight

Edited by themouth1888

• Content Count:  293
  • Timezone:  UTC

Also the QB option do we have a ruling on how often is acceptable :g:

FYI Griffin scrambled 10 times tonight

must a been playing a s**te team :shifty:

• Content Count:  1,015

Hmm. I noticed someone do that.

Do tell Paul :shifty:

QB running: Running with your QB is acceptable from designed QB draw and option plays. As with any play in the game, it's not something that should be overused. For passing plays, where all your receivers are covered, then rushing with your QB is also acceptable – again, this is something which should not be overused.

QB's should not be running around the backfield, rolling out to the side-lines and taking off or dropping back much more than 7-10 yards.

I'm sorry but the time has come to me to ask questions about this again, just two though :up:

1. Why do our receivers have to be not open before we run with the QB? Reason I ask this is because I was playing Stuey earlier with RGIII, I was 3rd and 10 or so, came out in a 5WR set. Obviously in 5 wide if there's no spy I could be on for big yardage. I snapped the ball and whatever way the four man rush came, there was a massive hole between his RE and DT, tbh I didn't even look for a pass once I saw this hole and immediately took off for the 1st down, surely we should be allowed do that?

2. Surely rolling out is ok once the drop back is complete? I played Lewis today and he had all my WRs covered at first, his RE was getting around my left tackle so I had to run right to avoid the sack, Nelson then got free and I lobbed a pass for a 1st down? Surely that's ok too as it is continuing the play?

Edited by Ben SFC

• Content Count:  1,683

as sneddon said coming out in 3 deep then changing is a bit daft. Although that just seems like someone is picking plays that don't really know what they are doing.

Edited by Si1entRaider

• Content Count:  651

Also need to think about no huddles as the pats use them a lot purely to tire the opposition out

• Content Count:  1,176

The buccaneers have a formation from shotgun which is empty backfield but puts the TE and HB on the line without any audibles. Not sure what it is called though

• Content Count:  10,009

Also need to think about no huddles as the pats use them a lot purely to tire the opposition out

I can't see the rule changing just because the Pats use no huddle all game.

• Content Count:  1,012

QB running: Running with your QB is acceptable from designed QB draw and option plays. As with any play in the game, it's not something that should be overused. For passing plays, where all your receivers are covered, then rushing with your QB is also acceptable – again, this is something which should not be overused.

QB's should not be running around the backfield, rolling out to the side-lines and taking off or dropping back much more than 7-10 yards.

I'm sorry but the time has come to me to ask questions about this again, just two though :up:

1. Why do our receivers have to be not open before we run with the QB? Reason I ask this is because I was playing Stuey earlier with RGIII, I was 3rd and 10 or so, came out in a 5WR set. Obviously in 5 wide if there's no spy I could be on for big yardage. I snapped the ball and whatever way the four man rush came, there was a massive hole between his RE and DT, tbh I didn't even look for a pass once I saw this hole and immediately took off for the 1st down, surely we should be allowed do that?

2. Surely rolling out is ok once the drop back is complete? I played Lewis today and he had all my WRs covered at first, his RE was getting around my left tackle so I had to run right to avoid the sack, Nelson then got free and I lobbed a pass for a 1st down? Surely that's ok too as it is continuing the play?

I'm going to do the same thing and ask a question.

That rule reads like rolling out and extending the play is not allowed, is that right? reason I ask is because that takes away an awful lot of my playbook as a lot of my play action passes are roll out plays. And also, like I say, if your trying to extend the play, waiting for a WR t get open then surely it's okay to roll to the sidelines and even take off and run if you have to? It is something you see in the NFL all time.

• Group:  PFL Legend
  • Content Count:  2,326
  • Timezone:  Europe/Dublin

as sneddon said coming out in 3 deep then changing is a bit daft. Although that just seems like someone is picking plays that don't really know what they are doing.

There is no doubt they knew EXACTLY what they were doing. Happened in a couple of games and there were multiple incidents in each.

Guest Futureheads

No PA is fine, the rule is designed to flush out those guys thay drop 10 yards back then drift 10 yards right. Thats poor QB play if you do that everytime, as you are just leaving the pocket. I fully understand that when playing there will be the odd occassion of a roll out after being flushed out the pocket but not every play.

No PA is fine, the rule is designed to flush out those guys thay drop 10 yards back then drift 10 yards right. Thats poor QB play if you do that everytime, as you are just leaving the pocket. I fully understand that when playing there will be the odd occassion of a roll out after being flushed out the pocket but not every play.

Yeah I only roll out if it's a PA rollout play or if I'm under pressure. Thanks for clarifying that for me buddy! :up:

• Content Count:  1,303

Regards the QB run. I'm with Ben on this one.

QB spy is in the game for a reason folks. Don't use it and from time to time you are gonna get burned with my QB steeling some easy yards. If someone is sending pressure then a lot of the time time you simply DON'T have time to check all your receivers.

If hurry ups were the same in Madden as NCAA then they'd have to be in. But the fact you can't choose a new play other than your audibles makes it impossible for the D.

• Like 1

• Content Count:  3,394

The buccaneers have a formation from shotgun which is empty backfield but puts the TE and HB on the line without any audibles. Not sure what it is called though

The Bears have that same play, there is also a variation of it in one of the 'Single' formations (like trip or something) which brings the HB up to the line, its an empty back I think.

On the D side switching, I've really only ever used formations which can be accommodated by the other, or sometimes a Dime to a 4-3 if I think the run is up the middle, would folk say thats fair?

• Content Count:  2,326

As long as you Defensive Linemen remain the 4 on the line then I would say thats ok.

• Content Count:  3,394

As long as you Defensive Linemen remain the 4 on the line then I would say thats ok.

Thats how I plan my audibles - 4 line have to stay 4 lineman. With is version though you have to be know as your only getting one audible per play.

• Content Count:  3,213

Oh crap, have I ever done this to anyone? Tell me if I have done it please.

I go through custom audibles and just pick plays I like the look of to be honest making sure I have blitz, man and zone plays not sure of the formations! I don't think I have audibled defensive backs to positions on the defensive line though. I certainly haven't done it knowingly because I think I mainly audible if the opponent is running no huddle.

Though I do tend to stick to the same 2, 3 or maybe even 4 defensive formations and whilst I do repeat plays I do pick different plays but try to make them look the same. Is this not acceptable?

Edited by Sovoth

• Group:  Staff
  • Content Count:  4,129

I use cover 4 a bit and it does change the o-line personell a bit.. is that allowed?

Some packages change personnel by putting the des at dt and olbs at de. That's perfectly ok.

Your d sounds fine, too, sovoth.

This is specifically people coming out with 6/7 d backs, then audibling to a formation with 4 dbacks, causing unrealistic positions (such as dbacks on the dline)

• Content Count:  1,683

I'm not sure if I have done this either to be honest. I've been using the colts a bit and other than their 3-4 looks, they have 1-5-5, 3-3-5 and another couple of nickel and dime formations where they have a lot of the linebackers on the line.

When in those formations and in general I only ever audible to man, zone or blitz but not to specific plays if that makes sense? I don't use custom play books or custom audibles.

I'm not sure if I have done this either to be honest. I've been using the colts a bit and other than their 3-4 looks, they have 1-5-5, 3-3-5 and another couple of nickel and dime formations where they have a lot of the linebackers on the line.

When in those formations and in general I only ever audible to man, zone or blitz but not to specific plays if that makes sense? I don't use custom play books or custom audibles.

Perfectly ok. I use the Colts playbook and that's exactly how those formations work.

As has been mentioned, this particular issue came about due to player(s) only coming out in either quarters or dime and then audibling down to a 3-4 formation. The game moves a safety to the line to replace a DE, who in turn drops back to a LB position. There's a likelihood that this allows the Safety to gain an unfair advantage and generate unrealistic pressure on the QB. Not only is it unrealistic, it shows a total lack of imagination and intelligence by the person running the play.

The fact that it was run repeatedly only served to highlight the issue.

• Content Count:  2,767

I'd just like to mention about the fake FG TD by the packers last night, would this play be allowed in our games?

• Group:  PFL Coach
  • Content Count:  3,707

NEVER SEEN IT IN OUR LEAGUE NOT THE WAY WE PLAY ,RULES STATE NO FAKE FG OTHERWISE WE END UP LIKE THE LOBBY STYLE GAMES NOT ENJOYABLE JUST A JOKE .........

Edited by trooper uk

• Content Count:  7,623

Yeah, unfortunately the fake FG will just create arguments. The fake FG run on M12 used to be very easy to get 1st down from on 4th and short. Not tried it on 13 yet.

Not denying it's not sim, just a hassle to monitor, therefore easier to not have them

• Group:  PFL Coach
  • Content Count:  3,707

NEVER USED OR SEEN IT IN THE SEASONS I BEEN PLAYING IN PFL AND SO ON, WILL JUST CAUSE GRIEF. LOBBIES U CAN USE THAT STUFF COACHES KEEP IT THERE NOT NEEDED IN PFL.......

Edited by trooper uk

• Group:  Staff
  • Content Count:  4,129

tbh i wouldnt do it anyway, far to often the punter throws a hospital pass

• Content Count:  2,767

tbh i wouldnt do it anyway, far to often the punter throws a hospital pass

Yeah I wouldnt use it on a punt but as im the texans in the pfl and graham can only kick it 50yards max on a FG I'd be tempted to use it on a field goal, stuyraises a good point with it been hard to monitor... Just wanted to point out these things do happen for real... On-side ko in superbowl 2nd half...

Yeah I wouldnt use it on a punt but as im the texans in the pfl and graham can only kick it 50yards max on a FG I'd be tempted to use it on a field goal, stuyraises a good point with it been hard to monitor... Just wanted to point out these things do happen for real... On-side ko in superbowl 2nd half...

Yeah, you speak the truth mate. Unfortunately there are a few things that we don't disagree are Sim, but at the same time as a commisioner, we have to ban due to being hard to monitor. Unfortunately this is one of them.

I am hoping to push through a rule that allows you to go for it when in that grey area of can I reach for the FG or can't I (within a reasonable distance from the 1st down), however we cannot seem to all agree on it as yet. that would help you out in the situation mentioned if we can compromise on the rule and introduce it.

• Content Count:  140

There´s nothing on 2 point conversions in the rules anymore, anybody could remind me how it was phrased ? I seem to recall they were allowed throughout the game, but not 100% sure.

Was down 8 in a game yesterday early in the 4th and driving and frantically tried to find the rule. Ended up not getting the TD afterall, so it´s not like it mattered but still ;)

I´d also 2nd the sentiments about going for it on 4th down rather than kick a 50+ yard FG playing as the Texans. Especially late in games. Don´t have a problem punting it in the first quarter, but when down 10 points in the 4th it´s just agonizing ...

Maybe it should somehow be linked to the kick power of the kicker ?

Edited by Whomario

There´s nothing on 2 point conversions in the rules anymore, anybody could remind me how it was phrased ? I seem to recall they were allowed throughout the game, but not 100% sure.

Was down 8 in a game yesterday early in the 4th and driving and frantically tried to find the rule. Ended up not getting the TD afterall, so it´s not like it mattered but still ;)

Yeah we are finalising a few rules.

Basically you can go for them whenever it is sim to do so. However you MUST let you opponent know prior to doing it.

thanks, good to know :)

Also, regarding the defensive issues mentioned : Anybody who notices sth with me, please let me know. I don´t even understand half of what was talked about, so there´s decent chance it happens by accidend as of now.

What i do very often is call a zone defense but then change to man defense when i notice sth about the matchups.

Also, regarding the defensive issues mentioned : Anybody who notices sth with me, please let me know. I don´t even understand half of what was talked about, so there´s decent chance it happens by accidend as of now.

What i do very often is call a zone defense but then change to man defense when i notice sth about the matchups.

If you're using quick audibles, that's fine, mate :up:

Yeah they were saying if you come out in a defenseive formation that has 3 down lineman (lineman with their hands in the ground) you can't then audible into a formation which has 4 down lineman as that would put a LB or safety into the lineman position which could potentially give them an advantage and it's also just very unrealistic as it would never happen.

Hope that makes sense.

ah, that makes more sense. So basically you shouldn´t change the shape of the defense from 4-3 to 3-4 or vice versa but most everything else is ok (like having your safety blitz or play a zone in the middle like a LB might do) ? Will keep an eye on this to see if any of my audibles have that effect, but most of the time i merely have a LB blitz if i want 4 instead of 3 players trying to get pressure after seeing the formation of the offense.

• Content Count:  7,671

whomario - you were fine when we played - no issues at all

and as discussed with you if just out of fg range if situation calls for it and its realistic, just tell/ask your opponent, 98% of people on here youll have no problem with as theyll know why youre doing it

ah, that makes more sense. So basically you shouldn´t change the shape of the defense from 4-3 to 3-4 or vice versa but most everything else is ok (like having your safety blitz or play a zone in the middle like a LB might do) ? Will keep an eye on this to see if any of my audibles have that effect, but most of the time i merely have a LB blitz if i want 4 instead of 3 players trying to get pressure after seeing the formation of the offense.

It's ok to do it on the odd occassion but I think there are reports that it be be used to glitch exploit in certain situations. Nobody will moan if it's a genuine mistake, I've done that before. But if people are doing it regular and you feel it is to gain some sort of advantage then let us know.