Custom Playbooks - VOTE NOW!

Custom Playbooks  

51 members have voted

1. 1. Allowed in our leagues?

• Group:  PFL Legend
  • Content Count:  7,318
  • Timezone:  Europe/London

Don't know anywhere near enough about them to make an informed decision so ill abstain

• Group:  Member
  • Content Count:  219

I voted no....but I'd like to wait till the patch to be released hoping EA has addressed the issue and allows custom audibles without it becoming a custom book.

The problem with the stock team playbook audibles is that even thou you come out in a 3wr 1te 1rb personnel and yes you have the ability to audible to different formations, the stock audibles are generally still slants, hb dive, verticles and a standard pa play.  That being said, i've found at least 4 playbooks so far that offer a huge variety of stock audibles from different formations catering for different play styles...they are there but are a little hard to find.

• Content Count:  1,113

Their money plays thinking about it.

But did Dickie not say that you can pick any play in that formation? I've only played 2 games of Madden so far, I really amn't enjoying it at all so haven't looked at it in any more detail.

What are the audibles that people actually want? :confused:

You can't change your formation any more can you? So that's gone. And you could never have a choice of the other plays, as they were always quick pass, run, deep pass, PA. 

Yes you could Ben. You had the set audibles, as you described, but you could also have an extra 5 custom audibles.

Example

I-form dive

I-form toss

I-form counter

I-form strong quick pass

I form strong deep pass

Part of the 3 headed attack school of play.

On D you might have

3-4 Man Cover 2

3-4 Weak Blitz

Nickel Sugar Blitz Bluff

Nickel Sugar Blitz

Dime Man/Zone Blitz

Gave you options if you came out in say a nickel zone formation and wanted to switch to a nickel blitz that wasn't the default one.

Granted, that it was open to abuse where we had some people using it to come out in a quarters formation and audible down as they approached the los to the 3-4 weak blitz. But we did put in a rule about this.

• Content Count:  7,671

So Brian also says Doc has found a money play, there's gonna be one a book, if we allow custom books, someone is gonna have 32 money plays and will score every drive making the game utterly pointless

• Content Count:  10,009

But did Dickie not say that you can pick any play in that formation? I've only played 2 games of Madden so far, I really amn't enjoying it at all so haven't looked at it in any more detail.

not sure! I'll look later, if that is the case then Custom audibles are irrelevant 

With the suggestion it would be considered to allow users to set Custom Audible "in game" in the case of a No vote I've voted Yes.

You cant have it both ways imo.

• Content Count:  1,849

heres my 2 cents worth?

I agree with Hubble and Troop on team specific books...........however I do see Dio's point on if you pick a Mobile QB in the 2nd year a pocket passing offense is useless.

but it is the best way to police the books?

My problem with custom books is this, in the NFL a player can be exploited i.e picking on a rookie throwing deep on a slow corner etc and in the NFL a coach will try to over come these exploits but in madden a glitch or money play can not be over come.

a no vote for me on custom books.

The PFL would be a good beta test of specific team books as no drafting in there?

• Content Count:  1,159

With the suggestion it would be considered to allow users to set Custom Audible "in game" in the case of a No vote I've voted Yes.

You cant have it both ways imo.

Agree with this. If the no vote wins then it should ban both custom books and audibles before or in-game.

• Content Count:  3,394

So Brian also says Doc has found a money play, there's gonna be one a book, if we allow custom books, someone is gonna have 32 money plays and will score every drive making the game utterly pointless

Thats where trust would be broken on here Phil and I for one would hate to think that I had just been thrashed on nothing but money plays and not just a players sense of winning through decent playing.

I know for a fact that players such as Doc, would never use these 'money' plays in such an untrusting manner. The way we spoke about it was that you would notice, or hopefully get noticed, if you were using these plays on a regular basis in one game.

An example I have is of one game online vs random. He had one play that destroyed me on 3rd and long after a series of no huddles - I was already in the wrong D formation he noticed and quickly called a series of them - a ball through the middle to where strangley no-one was waiting.

One other guy playing as the Jets also had a playbook that prevented my defence from getting through full stop.

I found this very dodgy as he could stand in the pocket for ages without fear of being sacked no matter what play I put in, and throw a clean pass to the end zone after the WR had - for the upteenth time- lost his CB.

• Content Count:  2,730

I voted no....but I'd like to wait till the patch to be released hoping EA has addressed the issue and allows custom audibles without it becoming a custom book.

The problem with the stock team playbook audibles is that even thou you come out in a 3wr 1te 1rb personnel and yes you have the ability to audible to different formations, the stock audibles are generally still slants, hb dive, verticles and a standard pa play.  That being said, i've found at least 4 playbooks so far that offer a huge variety of stock audibles from different formations catering for different play styles...they are there but are a little hard to find.

I am pretty certain you can do this. If you open up the pre snap menu and press X to audible there is a further option to go through other plays and (I think) formations as well in your playbook that contain the same personnel. (can't think what button it is without having the game up in front of me) I actually audibled to a totally different formation during a game against Chris the other night by mistake as I was pressing the buttons before the snap to test some things out.

You should chose your book and live with the audibles................. simple

One other guy playing as the Jets also had a playbook that prevented my defence from getting through full stop.

I found this very dodgy as he could stand in the pocket for ages without fear of being sacked no matter what play I put in, and throw a clean pass to the end zone after the WR had - for the upteenth time- lost his CB.

Thats just Sim football tbf - Jets are going to the SuperBowl :jets:

I find this interesting, would half the coaches here be in superbowls without their own playbook but having to use team specific?

now that would set a good coach apart from the rest, like taking the browns to the superbowl with the browns OFF and DEF book? :g:

I find this interesting, would half the coaches here be in superbowls without their own playbook but having to use team specific?

now that would set a good coach apart from the rest, like taking the browns to the superbowl with the browns OFF and DEF book? :g:

I did for my Superbowl seasons.

• Content Count:  8,458

heres my 2 cents worth?

I agree with Hubble and Troop on team specific books...........however I do see Dio's point on if you pick a Mobile QB in the 2nd year a pocket passing offense is useless.

but it is the best way to police the books?

My problem with custom books is this, in the NFL a player can be exploited i.e picking on a rookie throwing deep on a slow corner etc and in the NFL a coach will try to over come these exploits but in madden a glitch or money play can not be over come.

a no vote for me on custom books.

The PFL would be a good beta test of specific team books as no drafting in there?

Just to point out, there is no way to police this

There is no way in a CFM game to see the playbook your opponent is using

unless yop make them, or does that not even work?

This is my dream this year in UKML.

Never gonna happen 

I did for my Superbowl seasons.

My point exactly Dio

it maybe the top ten teams always in the bowl but I bet it wouldn't be the same coaches all the time? relating to the PFL by the way

• Group:  PFL Coach
  • Content Count:  3,707

would be great to use team specific in pfl down to rigg at the end of the day :rock: 

saying that be great to use team specific in all leagues the team u picked use there book not sure what the problem is not using team specific.
:rock: 

Edited by trooper uk

• Content Count:  7,623

I don't think team specific playbooks would make to much difference. Those good players with time to study the playbook would still come out on top.

The only people it will punish are those who don't play as often and haven't got time to learn a new playbook.

• Like 1

• Content Count:  2,663

would be great to use team specific in pfl down to rigg at the end of the day :rock:

saying that be great to use team specific in all leagues the team u picked use there book not sure what the problem is not using team specific.

The biggest problem with team specifics are that they aren't any closer to a teams actual PB then any of the other PBs...

In the NFL a team is graded depending on how well they do in the previous season, if they do well they have a hard next season

Here in Maddenpfl you have a good season in the next year you pick virtually last.

ATM even if that coach picks a crap team with his own books he can make it all the way again and lets be honest because of their money plays but if they had to play team spec alright they might "a" money play but not 4-5 and I believe they would suffer because of it which in turn opens up the field.

if the coach does well either way then thats a coach

I don't think team specific playbooks would make to much difference. Those good players with time to study the playbook would still come out on top.

The only people it will punish are those who don't play as often and haven't got time to learn a new playbook.

I think it would having to use TS books and set audibles would hamper them

Team specific play books ? Bah!

But seriously, consider this.

• As Joe has mentioned you can't police it if you can't see the playbook the other person is using. Remember that this has to apply across all leagues, PFL and CFM.
  • Do you really think these playbooks are team specific? They aren't. If they weren't so interchangeable, we wouldn't have been using them as we have for the past 7 years.
  • NFL playbooks are based around a scheme; personnel; the opposition.
  • Playbooks in Madden are designed for the game, not to be sim. They are designed for H-2-H games and teams used therein.
  • If there are 'money plays' - post them up and then the whole site knows about them and the whole site can discuss/educate/learn how to combat them.

• Content Count:  219

would be great to use team specific in pfl down to rigg at the end of the day :rock: 

saying that be great to use team specific in all leagues the team u picked use there book not sure what the problem is not using team specific.

I don't like the idea of not being able to choose a team book.  I agree don't allow customs and I can deal without changing my audibles but I still want to be able to choose the book you use in leagues.  Due to the nature of being a franchise owner you should be given the freedom to choose a book that fits the team you intend on developing.  If I want a mobile qb, I would like the read option and qb wrap.  If I choose to build a 4-3 team I don't want to be stuck with a 3-4 playbook.  Ultimately the f***ktards at EA ( I will not call them game developers, more like make up artists) messed up big, this time round, and we are gonna have to find a way around this but not at the expense of being restricted to franchise development.

If we cant see if the other user is using a Custom Playbook how can you possibly ban them? Trust alone? Or can you make them show as Burnzee says below?

Edited by MackemJet

Just to point out, there is no way to police this

There is no way in a CFM game to see the playbook your opponent is using

unless yop make them, or does that not even work?

The only way you really know if your up against any form of PB is if your opponent choses the 'Advanced setting' option before you both go in to a game and selects his O&D PB's

You know its a CPB becasue it wont let you name it like madden names the regular PB's it has to be say for example CHI46D or DiodeX Nano D :shifty: kidding Al...but you see where I'm coming from. You wont really know if he's got all money plays, one play or just audibles.

• Content Count:  2,326
  • Timezone:  Europe/Dublin

T.....................

• If there are 'money plays' - post them up and then the whole site knows about them and the whole site can discuss/educate/learn how to combat them.

pigs_flying.jpg

• Like 1

The only way you really know if your up against any form of PB is if your opponent choses the 'Advanced setting' option before you both go in to a game and selects his O&D PB's

You know its a CPB becasue it wont let you name it like madden names the regular PB's it has to be say for example CHI46D or DiodeX Nano D :shifty: kidding Al...but you see where I'm coming from. You wont really know if he's got all money plays, one play or just audibles.

You're misunderstanding me Brian

That was possible last year, it does not appear for your opponent this year

Again, there is NO way to see what playbook your opponent is using

I find that strange Joe as I could see what PB's several of my opponents were chosing on Saturday night before we started our games...or am I still picking you up wrong?

Reason I remember is one guy was playing as the Eagles and I saw him picking both PB's then going as the Browns D book then back to the Eagles.

Edited by Burnzee Boyee

So we are meant to trust that a player will not use a Custom Playbook if the vote is a "No"..........

But people are voting "No" because people cant be trusted and will exploit a Custom Playbook if its a "Yes" vote?

:lmao:

I find that strange Joe as I could see what PB's several of my opponents were chosing on Saturday night before we started our games...or am I still picking you up wrong?

I assume you were playing a game in the PFL Community or online? Works fine

In User v User games in the franchise mode? Its gone walkabout

• Group:  Xbox Commissioner
  • Content Count:  4,339

this unless it's for lobby games only

• Content Count:  4,055

So we are meant to trust that a player will not use a Custom Playbook if the vote is a "No"..........

But people are voting "No" because people cant be trusted and will exploit a Custom Playbook if its a "Yes" vote?

:lmao:

Works just fine in the FIFA leagues. No real way of telling if people are using custom formations, they're banned and never get used. Have more faith :up:

• Like 1

I assume you were playing a game in the PFL Community or online? Works fine

In User v User games in the franchise mode? Its gone walkabout

Ah well it was online H2H Joe.havent tried any online CCM franchise mode yet unfortunatley

Edited by Burnzee Boyee

I would live with your own choice of team pb and no changing of audibles :up:

• Like 1

Tell you what, bet EA never thought there'd be this much debate over changing the audible system in PB's :lol:

• Content Count:  1,159

In the NFL a team is graded depending on how well they do in the previous season, if they do well they have a hard next season

Here in Maddenpfl you have a good season in the next year you pick virtually last.

ATM even if that coach picks a crap team with his own books he can make it all the way again and lets be honest because of their money plays but if they had to play team spec alright they might "a" money play but not 4-5 and I believe they would suffer because of it which in turn opens up the field.

if the coach does well either way then thats a coach

The logic is completely flawed, as you are assuming the best teams have best playbooks. Arguabably the best playbook on madden 13 was Carolina's, who are usually picked in the 20s.

I also think some people are very quick to say someone has a money play, when infact its just they can't stop but someone else could. I'm sure we have all had divisions games where first game your opponent beats you by running certain type of plays...next game you are prepared for it and manage to get the W.

• Like 1

Tell you what, bet EA never thought there'd be this much debate over changing the audible system in PB's :lol:

like riggs said ea don't cater for the sim community just the h2h community

Works just fine in the FIFA leagues. No real way of telling if people are using custom formations, they're banned and never get used. Have more faith :up:

I have no issue with having faith - which is why I voted Yes :up:

The point im making is people who are voting "No" due to a lack of faith as they believe people will exploit Custom Playbooks for Money Plays are at the same time asking that people have faith no one will use a Custom Playbook on the side.

How can you say you cant trust people with a Custom Playbook as it'll be abused but you can trust they wont use them if they were banned?

• Content Count:  2,767

So if CP are banned how will we know if someone is using one?!

• Like 1

• Group:  Xbox Commissioner
  • Content Count:  4,339

so there is no way of checking who uses which PB even league admins?

why are we having this conversation then. allow it, as I certainly won't be able to tell if someone uses a CPB if he's smart :p

The logic is completely flawed, as you are assuming the best teams have best playbooks. Arguabably the best playbook on madden 13 was Carolina's, who are usually picked in the 20s.

I also think some people are very quick to say someone has a money play, when infact its just they can't stop but someone else could. I'm sure we have all had divisions games where first game your opponent beats you by running certain type of plays...next game you are prepared for it and manage to get the W.

:doh:  :blind:  :fool:  :ohyeah:

:huff2: 

So if CP are banned how will we know if someone is using one?!

Most of us are adults...we should just ask one another :shifty: I will always honestly relpy 'No I am not using a custom play book in any way shape or form. I do not believe in lowering our sites tone by doing this.'  :huff2::lol:

• Content Count:  1,023

I thought there was a way you could see if they were using a CPB... if there is no way of knowing then much like the previous comments have mentioned we have no option but to allow it. If that's the case I will have to change my vote to Yes. 

However, as much as I would like to trust people, where an opportunity presents itself there is always going to be temptation to break the rules. It's human nature! It's The "I'll just add one or two "money plays" as nobody will ever know" type scenario.  

• Content Count:  2,326
  • Timezone:  Europe/Dublin

As Buncey pointed out a similar rule was applied in the FIFA leagues. Custom formations were banned. It was / is a site rule if you wanted to join the leagues and everybody obeyed it even though there was /is no way of checking.

It worked there and on that basis it is reasonable to assume it could work here.

It makes no sense to vote Yes simply because it cannot be checked because you cannot trust people and then think that people can be trusted not to exploit the potential of custom playbooks to include as many money plays as is possible.

Sounds good to me Berty as long as it means this playbook of yours wont see the light of day :lol:

pigs_flying.jpg

• Like 1

• Content Count:  1,113

I'm sorry but that's a load of testicles. Do coaches who take over places use the previous coach's play books? No. New coaches, their own playbooks

I have no issue with having faith - which is why I voted Yes  :up:

The point im making is people who are voting "No" due to a lack of faith as they believe people will exploit Custom Playbooks for Money Plays are at the same time asking that people have faith no one will use a Custom Playbook on the side.

How can you say you cant trust people with a Custom Playbook as it'll be abused but you can trust they wont use them if they were banned?

I voted no but nothing to do with trust. 

I just think that to allow them would give the people that have more time to play an added advantage above and beyond what they get from just playing and practicing more, which could lead to an even bigger split between the stronger players and the weaker ones and damage the enjoyment for everybody.

Ultimately if there is no way of checking what playbook your opponent is using it's kind of a pointless debate as they can do what they like anyway. In essence what you are asking here is for the community to come to a collective understanding as to whether we feel it is fair or not to use them knowing that we are all here to enjoy the game played in the right way.

Fortunately there is a mutual respect and trust across this community which is the main reason most of us joined the site and a massive factor in why we enjoy playing the game online despite the flaws it has year on year so we can all be confident our opponent is playing fair regardless of what playbook they have or team they use. :up:

• Like 1