Headsets Are Mandatory

A reminder to all players - old and new. Headsets are mandatory if you want to play in any of the MaddenPFL leagues.

There are a number of reasons for this. Primarily, this site thrives because people who play here get to know who they are playing. Believe it or not, talking to the your opponent actually improves the whole gaming experience. Even if it's just to say "Hello", "Good luck", "Well played".

Secondly, being able to talk helps avoid many misunderstandings. Going for it on 4th; onside kick; no huddle, you can tell your opponent. Kids wake up crying; wife wants more wine; you need a toilet break, you can tell your opponent.

Using a headset for the first time can feel a bit strange, but once you get over any initial embarrassment, it becomes second nature. You don't have to chat throughout the whole game - you don't have to chat much at all. But it does help with both of the aspects mentioned above. Sometimes it's not easy to talk - anybody with young children will know this - but having the headset on so you can talk if needed is a must.

:pfl:

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Member
  • Content Count:  1,303
  • Timezone:  Europe/London

Yeah you get to hear me moaning when i'm losing or you can listen to me boasting when i'm winning :up:

• Content Count:  3,863

You get to hear me moan when I'm losing or moan when I'm winning! Lol

• Content Count:  2,663

I played using a headset for the first time over the weekend vs DeadPoet. Admitedly we didnt talk a lot but i did find the game seemed to go quicker as a result. Apologies to DP if he found my voice annoying as i know my voice sounds weird over the phone etc (although that may be how my voice actually sounds....)

• Group:  PFL Legend
  • Content Count:  2,326
  • Timezone:  Europe/Dublin

Yep, might as well be playing the CPU if you are playing someone without a headset.

Plus it allows me to distract my opponent with my endless banter.

Plus it allows me to distract my opponent with my endless banter.

I'll be looking forward to Thursday then Berty.

• Content Count:  7,671

i barely talk on headset.................

• Content Count:  4,055

I thought it was mandatory anyway, even if you can't talk much with sleeping people in the house etc. :lol:

• Content Count:  7,318

Its worth throwing a headset on just to hear Buncey when he gets angry :lol:

I've never heard him angry, as he beat me in our only game!

I'd like to imagine his outbursts would include the expressions 'Crikey', 'Gosh' and 'crumbs', though! :lol:

i like having a good old chat tbf, get to know people, plus i can try and put people off with my insane drivel i spout

try not to do it whilst the play is being run tho, respect that some others dont like to talk tho

• Content Count:  4,055

Pilks mode :rock:

Always makes the game go alot faster for me, especially as I'm usually throwing the ball at everyone but my receivers :lol:

TBF Phil you could talk the hind legs off a donkey

TBF Phil you could talk the hind legs off a donkey

He's the same in real life, too.

If you get him drunk it's a bloody nightmare!

and why would you be trying to get me drunk?

i view it as being friendly.......

• Group:  Staff
  • Content Count:  5,997

suppose it would be nice for u all to hear my sultry tones

buying 1 tonight done and done :ohyeah:

• Content Count:  1,012
  • Timezone:  UTC

i like having a good old chat tbf, get to know people, plus i can try and put people off with my insane drivel i spout

try not to do it whilst the play is being run tho, respect that some others dont like to talk tho

You never wanted to use a headset when you played me in UKML! Mind you though, you may have been put off by my awesomeness!! lol

• Group:  Staff
  • Content Count:  4,129
  • Timezone:  Europe/Dublin

Initially i wasnt too keen on the headset.. but now i may play 1 game out of 20 without it (including friendlies) it's good to have a bit of banter.

Now some dont talk at all really but a few of the lads are chatterboxes! :hyper:

• Content Count:  1,376

I've never heard him angry, as he beat me in our only game!

I'd like to imagine his outbursts would include the expressions 'Crikey', 'Gosh' and 'crumbs', though! :lol:

You missed out 'Golly', 'Dash', 'By Jove' and 'I am telling daddy'.

You never wanted to use a headset when you played me in UKML! Mind you though, you may have been put off by my awesomeness!! lol

didnt know you had one sither, most people ive played on ukml ( certainly my early games ) i sent party requests and got a msg saying "sorry no mic" so as they arent mandatory on there ive stopped requesting partys, probably saved you some earache tho tbh mate *nods*

didnt know you had one sither, most people ive played on ukml ( certainly my early games ) i sent party requests and got a msg saying "sorry no mic" so as they arent mandatory on there ive stopped requesting partys, probably saved you some earache tho tbh mate *nods*

I actually have 2, I just don't ever use them and I normally decline party requests because it means I have to move to get my headset and I'm lazy! lol. You'd probably get fed up of my swearing and telling Collinsworth to shut the f**k up!! as he's just states the obvious and says the most stupid things!

Are headsets going to be mandatory in the new M league? Cuz I don't always want to talk on a mic since I like to have music on while I play and a lot of the time I just don't want to talk to anyone. lol

Are headsets going to be mandatory in the new M league? Cuz I don't always want to talk on a mic since I like to have music on while I play and a lot of the time I just don't want to talk to anyone. lol

Yes they will mate. Can't beat a good chin wag during a game of Madden!

As I said in the first post, you don't have to talk. Say "Hello" start your game and at least you can chat/hear your opponent if needed without having to pause and type a message. It really does help avoid a lot of problems when players talk.

But if I have music on I won't be able to hear them, and in any event I just use xbox.com to type messages since it's quicker. If it's going to be mandatory to use a mic every time I play a Madden game then you can count me out from the M league.

But if I have music on I won't be able to hear them, and in any event I just use xbox.com to type messages since it's quicker. If it's going to be mandatory to use a mic every time I play a Madden game then you can count me out from the M league.

There is no way on this earth that you can type faster than you speak. It's not a big thing mate, I regularly have music playing in the background, just mute your mic and keep it in one ear.

Would suck to lose you from the M-League but if you are that resistant to using mics then we won't have a choice.

but if all I'm going to do is say hello, followed by gg than why do I need to bother with a mic? and as I type for a living, I can type almost as fast as I can speak.

I'm not that resistant to using a mic, I just don't like being forced to use one as I don't always want to talk to anybody. I don't even talk to my wife sometimes - especially if it's been a bad day.

think the reason sither is even if you dont want to speak, as rigglar has said, you may need it for communication. i played trooper recently, we spoke at the start and the end but it was there should we have needed it

ive had situations where ive needed to pause ( door, toilet, or to discuss a 4th down rule/game situation ) i certainly cant type quickly and have to use the controller to type a msg so takes forever so it helps if you can just say "sorry mate, need to let dog out, give me a min" etc

but I don't need a mic in to hear you, so if that came up you could just say it and I could hear you.

could you? forgive my ignorance but how? im a technophobe

and what if it was you that needed to speak to your opponent for the same reason?

im off out now so not being rude by not responding

but I don't need a mic in to hear you, so if that came up you could just say it and I could hear you.

And if you need to get the message across to somebody? It's gonna take longer for that person to open your message, then speak an answer for you to type another reply. Speaking from personal experience I'd never have the laptop open while on Madden due to the epically s**te servers.

We came to this decision based on years of Madden gaming. Voice chat is immediate and clear. It also prevents any p**sy arguments in the forums which is better for all.

Out of interest. How would you hear the music and the guys talking through the TV but not when they are on a mic?

Edited by ThePacFish

Sither, just literally say hi mate not gonna be talking for whatever reason and then just mute the headset but keep it on simples.

Talking the bum off of my opponent is one of my key tactics!

could you? forgive my ignorance but how? im a technophobe

and what if it was you that needed to speak to your opponent for the same reason?

im off out now so not being rude by not responding

You can change it in the settings on the Xbox somewhere, I forget where.

Out of interest. How would you hear the music and the guys talking through the TV but not when they are on a mic?

to be perfectly honest mate, I hadn't thought of that until after I'd typed it. lol

The real trouble is though, is that if I have music on I generally have my ipod in my ears since I lock myself away in my office most of the time to play my Madden games. But if I have to have a mic on, I can't listen to music (least not in both ears) this saddens me, especially since the commentary in Madden 12 and Madden 13 sucks and I hate it and I'm not sitting there in silence whilst playing my games.

But having said that, I guess I have no choice but to have a mic plugged in while I play, but I really don't like it but I have no choice.

Honestly mate this isn't something that has been arrived at quickly. It's taken years of discussions and downright arguments to decide it's the best way forward. Once you get used to it I think you will enjoy it. It's especially good against the Doc's and Paddys of the site as you can pick stuff up off them while they destroy you :lol:

Well I won't be talking on the mic, I can assure you of that but if I've had a s**tty day, I will take it out on my opponent and rip them to shreds verbally so I hope no ones easily offended.

Well I won't be talking on the mic, I can assure you of that but if I've had a s**tty day, I will take it out on my opponent and rip them to shreds verbally so I hope no ones easily offended.

You will become beloved like Lord Pilks of Bengal town :rock:

or I might just decide not to talk at all, but I will hear everything that is said to me.

Never come across anyone that would get offended, mate. Everyone p**ses and moans when they're losing, that's the beauty of it! lol

or I might just decide not to talk at all, but I will hear everything that is said to me.

It's really your choice. Nobody can force you, but in all bar one league headsets are mandatory. Depends on how much you want to immerse yourself in the community aspect of playing here.

When I first started playing online 3 1/2 years ago, I'd never used a headset. I joined the former incarnation of this site and I can't tell you how much I have benefited from talking the likes of Doc, Gooner, Berty, Burnzee, Nino, Pac, Redskins, Stuey, Mouth, Riverman, Gypsy, Pilks ... the list goes on. Not just from learning things and improving my game, but talking s**t about Madden, NFL, life in general.

I'm sure I look a complete twit walking around the front room chatting to some "stranger" about how that dropped catch was a joke or the way that linebacker appeared from nowhere to pick me off and run in for the score. My wife and my kids all like to ridicule me. But I'd not want to play this game any other way.

• Content Count:  575

i think i must have become a major contender for the top moaning stakes!!! if i think my own moaning is becoming too much i mute my mic and moan in private, i hate playing games without mics - awful.

Warren - our ridiculous Fantasy franchise game was a classic!

I moaned all first half, you moaned all second! lol

Warren - our ridiculous Fantasy franchise game was a classic!

I moaned all first half, you moaned all second! lol

haha sounds about right, i think ive got worse since!

• Content Count:  378

will be mic'd up then next game and be ridiculed by wife and kids!

will be mic'd up then next game and be ridiculed by wife and kids!

:up:

i think i must have become a major contender for the top moaning stakes!!! if i think my own moaning is becoming too much i mute my mic and moan in private, i hate playing games without mics - awful.

Think we need a new award :g:

to be honest tho, with that fantasy fran team anybody would moan, when you best reciever is 79ovr and he gets injured and chocolate bones moreno spends his annual 11 weeks on the sidelines and good old jason campbell under centre, im surprised it hasnt been ten fold. bunch of f**king muppets that team i tell ya!

:up:

Think we need a new award :g:

The Pilkington Special Award for services to Anger

• Like 1

• Group:  PFL Coach
  • Content Count:  3,707

mics really are needed if a problem occurs will save alot of hassle i wear mic just incase a problem crops up with gameplay in certain situations and yes it will happen so yes a mic is needed . there is no better way to defuse a situation than talking to each other rather than spending and wasting time sending messages and keep pausing the game and at times get booted .

really what is the harm in having the mic plugged in..

• Content Count:  10,009

Mostly the mic stops me flipping out, I say mostly ;)

Madden without a chat and rant is only half the game, it is just like playing a slightly clever CPU game ;)

Warren is up there for king rants, but no one will ever beat Pilks in a rant off.