Madden 18!!!!!!

• Group:  PFL Executive
  • Content Count:  4,099
  • Timezone:  Europe/London

So the long awaited announcement, went away on holiday after discussions in PFL HQ and it appears when I've returned home I am the only person left in the building :lol: I am still hoping @RamsDan will return for Madden 18 but I need to jump in and keep things ticking along and help from all is appreciated.

There have been a lot of sims, AP's etc as we have lost members for various reasons and people losing interest in general, so it was decided that for Madden 18 there will be only 1 league. The Pro is being scrapped and simply PFL will be the leagues new name.
The idea is to have a strong league that is full for the full term. Commissioners and regular members all active and posting regularly. Hopefully more people streaming games and everyone working to make the league enjoyable and interesting for all whether you are winning or losing games. Not expecting everyone to do full dossiers and blogs on teams etc but match reports even if its just a few words are a must, making it look a busy and active league.

If anyone is interested in becoming a commissioner, helping with Twitter posts, recruiting, posting fixtures, approving trades, ideas to make the new 'Super League' better, you can inbox me or post below.

So to the league, sign ups will be when the Pro 10 season is finished. If more than 32 people want to sign up to the league, the best 32 members (site value) will be selected. We don't feel like there is enough core members to run 2 leagues, so rather than one dragging the other down, we would fully put all our efforts into one stable great league. It will be similar to Pro 10 in terms of time (4 seasons, 2 games per week), there will be a couple of little tweaks to rules here and there, some that will be voted for by members and some that won't. The idea is to make it more of a free flowing league where you have a little more freedom to do things with your team.

The team draft will be sorted by ability AND activity.

It's a change and we all want the same thing, a fun league and an active community. Ideas are always welcome. If you think 2 leagues can/should be the way it can still change. Try not to moan or troll :lol:

Edited by SnapDan
  • Like 4

• Group:  EAFL Coach
  • Content Count:  2,841

Sounds good hopefully with one full league more effort will be put in from people as it will be harder to get in and stay in. Been watching some of that MBL league stuff on youtube and while im not saying we should go that far its certainly something to aspire to.

22 minutes ago, SnapDan said:

there will be a couple of little tweaks to rules here and there, some that will be voted for by members and some that won't. The idea is to make it more of a free flowing league where you have a little more freedom to do things with your team.

Not going to lie this slightly worries me, depinding what your thinking of changing but id hate to see us move away from sim style to a more "lobby" style gameplay as i fear that would drive alot of people away as i know i hate playing that style myself.

9 minutes ago, PatsUK said:

Sounds good hopefully with one full league more effort will be put in from people as it will be harder to get in and stay in. Been watching some of that MBL league stuff on youtube and while im not saying we should go that far its certainly something to aspire to.

Not going to lie this slightly worries me, depinding what your thinking of changing but id hate to see us move away from sim style to a more "lobby" style gameplay as i fear that would drive alot of people away as i know i hate playing that style myself.

Ah no it's nothing to do with game play that will stay the same,  it means things like practice squad stealing on/off, some leagues remove the end of season xp awards so people aren't getting 100k+ for players, maybe reset confidence every 4 weeks as some people seem to be unhappy at the effect it has on players this year, position changes more than 4 per year (only DE to OLB, RT to LG etc not WR to RB) 

• Like 1

• Group:  GM Owner
  • Content Count:  853
  • Timezone:  Europe/Dublin

Happy days, I'm nervous enough about getting into the actual league itself though (although I agree with the premise) as their are a lot of pfl vets then me who I know deserve there place.

1 minute ago, Scottyob said:

Happy days, I'm nervous enough about getting into the actual league itself though (although I agree with the premise) as their are a lot of pfl vets then me who I know deserve there place.

Don't think you need to worry about that bud, you've traded/drafted/posted/played and done the mock draft thing you've been a good site and game member. 

Would love to be like MBL and the idea is one league like pats mentioned will make the 32 people in the league more committed as if you lost a place it would be harder to get back in

• Like 1

• Group:  Member
  • Content Count:  4,457

Hi mate, this is a great idea. Back only a few years ago we had 4 full and active franchises and the PFL as well! I think I'd qualify to get in (I hope!). I have a lot of spare time at work now and could defiantly take more responsibility in the league this coming season. 

Thoughts on a feeder league so if someone drops out we have an instant replacement? 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, HLR Milo said:

Hi mate, this is a great idea. Back only a few years ago we had 4 full and active franchises and the PFL as well! I think I'd qualify to get in (I hope!). I have a lot of spare time at work now and could defiantly take more responsibility in the league this coming season. 

Thoughts on a feeder league so if someone drops out we have an instant replacement? 

Yeah we had spoke of something like a one year fantasy league,  something like that, which was different, draft at the beginning one game a week. Just wanting to make sure we had enough for the 32, hear some ideas from the members of how to keep the people outside the 32, and new members active,  which would also keep people inside the 32 on their toes. 

• Content Count:  3,213

I was hoping to be back for Madden 18, doesn't seem likely now if there's only going to be one league as I guess I'd be right down the pecking order :lol:

• Content Count:  2,559

:up: Sound's good to me, I know number's has been dropping lately just hoping the tide turns on that, if next Madden is a solid improvement it would help, we should be able to have one full league easily, I know I'll be on the border line to make it ability and activity wise

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Sovoth said:

I was hoping to be back for Madden 18, doesn't seem likely now if there's only going to be one league as I guess I'd be right down the pecking order :lol:

No one should be worried about making it and not making it yet. People may be not buying the new game, not wanting to join a league again etc

The idea is to have one really great league, but because there is only one league to concentrate on it means other commissioners can focus on keeping other members and people who want to play more than twice a week interested with cups/fantasy league/GM league and whatever else people might have in mind. 

At the moment though just want to concentrate on making sure one league is good as the drop out rate seemed to be higher this year. 

So no one needs to worry about missing out we are not the tories we will give everyone some bread at this table :lol:

• Content Count:  430

Just looking back at pro 8 schedule and reckon I will have had 9 CPU games out of 16 when reg season ends next week. 3 of these were because of holidays but mostly just teams with no owner. So 1 strong league definitely makes sense

• Like 3

• Group:  PFL Legend
  • Content Count:  7,623

42 minutes ago, Coco0981 said:

Just looking back at pro 8 schedule and reckon I will have had 9 CPU games out of 16 when reg season ends next week. 3 of these were because of holidays but mostly just teams with no owner. So 1 strong league definitely makes sense

Yep. I've had way too many CPU games this year. Appreciate some get a little bored, but it's never been this bad in the final season.

Hoping we can have a really good single league next year. Lots of activity, some good rivalries, match reports, regular power rankings / stats and last but not least. some competitive madden games!

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, StueyH111 said:

Yep. I've had way too many CPU games this year. Appreciate some get a little bored, but it's never been this bad in the final season.

Hoping we can have a really good single league next year. Lots of activity, some good rivalries, match reports, regular power rankings / stats and last but not least. some competitive madden games!

Yeah I have just done the Pro 8 week 17 fixtures and 10 games were human V CPU which is not a great advert for the league. The aim at this point next year is to still have a full league, reports, rankings and everything like you said still happening and not dying off after the first couple of seasons, a little bit more commitment from all involved from top to bottom. The app was very handy this year and really easy to use so people could AP themselves and still on more occasions than not people needed a commissioner to do it for them, just little things like that would take some load off commissioners. Poor @RamsDan pushed over the edge :lol: 

• Like 2

• Content Count:  2,195

Sounds good, happy to come back and help out with fixture posting and wotnot.

One slight concern is that newbies who aren't necessarily great players (Yet) might get turned off by getting smashed every week by more experienced players, lose heart and drop out as a result meaning that we don't address the issue of not having a regular core but I'm sure you've considered that on the modcave.

Also, I'm on holiday when M18 is released - save me a spot!

Edited by shatnersbassoon
  • Like 1

• Group:  Xbox Commissioner
  • Content Count:  4,339

24 minutes ago, shatnersbassoon said:

Sounds good, happy to come back and help out with fixture posting and wotnot.

One slight concern is that newbies who aren't necessarily great players (Yet) might get turned off by getting smashed every week by more experienced players, lose heart and drop out as a result meaning that we don't address the issue of not having a regular core but I'm sure you've considered that on the modcave.

Also, I'm on holiday when M18 is released - save me a spot!

he wants 1 strong league. so we both know we won't be in it :shifty:

• Like 1

• Group:  Staff
  • Content Count:  5,997

the king is dead

long live the king

@RamsDan

@SnapDan

• Like 2

• Content Count:  3,394

I remember the days of the old 1 league set up, back then the site was still in it's infancy. Having a feeder league would be a good idea to maintain as it allowed newer players to get to grips with site rules and enjoy the fun of playing along side like minded pervs...I mean players :shifty:

• Content Count:  3,720

This is looking interesting. I think we will have more than 32 coaches interested in a league so finding or losing a spot for key members of the site could be an issue. 

I, for one, think changing the confidence is irrelevant. Confidence is sim imo. Coaches who struggle will find something else to blame their s**t on anyway. 

I think the main problem of the site is that there is a big gap between the very good players and the decent players, so most coaches are stuck without any improvement for seasons, thats why we have the same names coming back to the playoffs each season. Coaches needs to start seeing that they can improve if they want and there is no better way to do so then with the new game. Madden is getting more and more sim in its gameplay and in order to be successful you need to understand the game of actual football better. 

LET IT BURN!

Edited by rayski

12 minutes ago, rayski said:

I , for one, think changing the confidence is irrelevant. Confidence is sim imo. Coaches who struggle will find something else to blame their s**t on anyway. 

you just have no clue what you're talking about :lol:

for info, i can see the difference this season being 5-4 rather than my usual 2-7.
my oline is holding for once compared to previous seasons. but yeah we'll just blame other s**t :facepalm:

5 minutes ago, dr_volki said:

you just have no clue what you're talking about :lol:

for info, i can see the difference this season being 5-4 rather than my usual 2-7.
my oline is holding for once compared to previous seasons. but yeah we'll just blame other s**t :facepalm:

Oh mate, really?? :lmao:

Of course you play different, you think the Browns are supposed to be as psyched up for a game as the Pats. Probably you have no idea how a locker room works either then. You lose and you dont change you'll lose more, you win, you win more. Thats why its sim mate.

Maybe if you lost 10 in a row try and call something else than Cover 3, I can assure you other cover plays work just as well :2up:

Losing supposed to make you play and focus better, not whine more. 

Edited by rayski

1 minute ago, rayski said:

Oh mate, really?? :lmao:

Probably you have no idea how a locker room works either then. You lose and you dont change you'll lose more, you win, you win more. Thats why its sim mate.

Maybe if you lost 10 in a row try and call something else than Cover 3, I can assure you other cover plays for just as well :2up:

Losing supposed to make you play and focus better, not whine more. 

i have no idea how a locker room works? i still actively play icehockey and last time i checked it's not a solo sport, but i guess you're right. :g:

not sure how you;d know what i call all game since you don't see my adjustments, but ok. i probably call more cover 2 than 3, so at least get your facts straight :shifty:

there's losing and then there's losing thanks to madden. 
anyways i thought the aim is to have a more competitive league but with comments like this i guess not. otherwise the easiest solution to level the playing field is to turn confidence off. 
with the current confidence system (unlike last madden) worse players get worse, more actual stat regression, while better players get better players + more actual stat upgrades.  so really bad players just get double f**ked while the good players get their old man's Johnson and balls sucked at the same time ;)

thinking about it now...you want to keep it sim. fine keep the confidence. i'll lose more than i win anyway :rock:

however then i'd like 1 thing. get rid of the s**tty 6 year contracts to all your bum depth players have that every gm seems to hand out in here.

1 minute ago, dr_volki said:

i have no idea how a locker room works? i still actively play icehockey and last time i checked it's not a solo sport, but i guess you're right. :g:

not sure how you;d know what i call all game since you don't see my adjustments, but ok. i probably call more cover 2 than 3, so at least get your facts straight :shifty:

there's losing and then there's losing thanks to madden. 
anyways i thought the aim is to have a more competitive league but with comments like this i guess not. otherwise the easiest solution to level the playing field is to turn confidence off. 
with the current confidence system (unlike last madden) worse players get worse, more actual stat regression, while better players get better players + more actual stat upgrades.  so really bad players just get double f**ked while the good players get their old man's Johnson and balls sucked at the same time ;)

With the madden app you can see what percentage coaches call certain play etc.

Fair enough. Turning it off makes more sense than resetting it every other week or whenever. I actually do agree that it levels the chances but I think it's sim and it does what it supposed to.(with a reset the end of the year) Give advantage to teams who win and vice versa. 

Just now, dr_volki said:

thinking about it now...you want to keep it sim. fine keep the confidence. i'll lose more than i win anyway :rock:

however then i'd like 1 thing. get rid of the s**tty 6 year contracts to all your bum depth players have that every gm seems to hand out in here.

Yes, contracts need talking about. same with FA. 

Contracts have been mentioned, this is where it's tricky for new players and some older players make mistakes too, it has been considered just to have a blanket number of years with the same bonus rule, so max for all contracts 3 years for example, resignings, free agency all the same. This are involved in the little rule changes I mention which need to be decided by the people in the league, you could say things like only 3 players can have this long etc but then it gets really hard for commissioners to monitor 

We do want to he as sim as possible but you can't restructure, front load, back load etc so we have to work a fair way for all. 

Confidence was more about just keeping the level playing field, same with XP. There is a reason the 'bad' players pick before the 'good' ones and this year it didn't feel like your team mattered as much, I know myself after getting 100k XP for a 74 ovr player and making him 90ovr in one season. 

Like everything though it also requires a commitment to be better if you don't want to lose. 

Edited by SnapDan

• Group:  PS5 Coach
  • Content Count:  2,670

Think we should have two league's. One main one and a secondary one more relaxed where new players can join. Think it would be sad if we have a limit on the site for only 32 coaches and anyone else or new joiners have to wait potentially months for a space to open up. Fair enough the pro 8 has a lot of simmed  games but surely people would prefer some simmed games rather than no league.

I am volunteering to commissioning, have some spare time now so can put in the effort needed.

• Like 4

18 minutes ago, ZoSo said:

Think we should have two league's. One main one and a secondary one more relaxed where new players can join. Think it would be sad if we have a limit on the site for only 32 coaches and anyone else or new joiners have to wait potentially months for a space to open up. Fair enough the pro 8 has a lot of simmed  games but surely people would prefer some simmed games rather than no league.

I am volunteering to commissioning, have some spare time now so can put in the effort needed.

2 leagues would be good, with lots of different players in each, this year has been a bit much with too many people in both and I think that's why it's suffered as people have been burnt out. 

@tripperman28 also offered to help run a similar 2nd franchise to what pro 7 was? (before my time) so if you and him want to recruit @ZoSo you are more than welcome to give it a shot if every one wants that second league. 

We do need space for recruitment but we also need at least one stable league. At the moment both leagues are suffering and Imo it's due to having too many of the same people in both. 

• Like 1

• Group:  Staff
  • Content Count:  4,129

Looking forward to getting back.

amy idea when you're going to look at the draft order @SnapDan

6 minutes ago, helimachoptor said:

Looking forward to getting back.

amy idea when you're going to look at the draft order @SnapDan

When I know the 32 people signed up,  once regular season is done in pro 10 so sign up will go up, then the order shortly after, early August

Love the enthusiasm 

Edited by SnapDan
  • Like 2

• Content Count:  10,009

Recruitment is always the problem, get new bodies in and hoping they stay.

I'm just stopping as I've played the game for 11+ years non-stop. I'll probably dive back in when M18 is in the vault so I can rage again.

Also try and be constructive with idea's etc ;) 

• Like 1

• Content Count:  1,703

Reckon i'll be struggling to get in on the basis of ability and activity, i'm s**t so hence the lack of match reports, plus iv'e also been struggling to play in season 4 this year, summer months are my busiest time at work and took on more football stuff, but i'll be back for 18 if selected.

• Content Count:  6,258
  • Timezone:  Europe/Luxembourg

Looking over the forum over the last few months this seems like the best way to go forward :up:

• Like 1