DanMcGrath77

The 2017 Madden PFL Mock Draft - Pick Thread

With the 31st pick of the 2017 Nfl draft the Atlanta Falcons take Fs Budda Baker

With no edge rushers or guards meeting the value of this pick Dan Quinn decides to pick up his very own mini Earl Thomas.

Nfl Scouts have called him an Undersized Safety with a linebackers mentality.

At 5'10 195lbs he's generally undersized for an nfl fs but in the falcons Defensive Scheme he can thrive as a free ranging ballhawk manning centrefield. A former highschool track star who ran a 4.45 40 at the combine Baker is by far my favourite Safety prospect in this draft. He's a caged up bubble of energy with quality film who's only weakness is his slight stature.

This was a tough pick to make but I said id trust my own evaluations rather then go with a consensus pick.

@RamsDan your up pal

With the 32nd Pick in the 2017 Draft the New Orleans Saints select Chidobe Awuzie CB Colorado.
I think at this Point the best thing would be to trade the Pick to somebody who wants to make sure the Browns or Niners don't take thier QB. I would have loved LSU CB White or Washingtons FS Baker. But with them gone I take another CB who may be a bit of a reach at this point. But with the Saints soon back on the Colck I don't want to talk to much about my other Options:-)

Browns are back on the Clock @HLR Milo

Edited by Winti26

Round 2 

@HLR Milo your up 

with the 33rd pick in the 2017 NFL draft the Cleveland Browns select

CB Gareon Conley

The Ohio State University

Image result for gareon conley

the browns are very pleased a player of conleys quality has fallen to them at the top of the 2nd round

Has NFL size with above-average length. Plays long. At his best when playing with inside leverage and trapping receivers against the boundary. Shades receivers with a basketball stance -- wide base, bent knees and wide arms. Creates challenging throwing lanes to target. Allowed just 37 percent completion rate. Press-man talent with zone instincts. Shows discipline and technique on verticals and curls. Matches with his feet rather than grabbing. Senses when his pattern is designed to clear space for another receiver and reacts accordingly. Has plus burst to the throw. Uses length to play around receiver and bat passes down underneath without interfering. Runs well and sinks into receiver's lap down the field, getting his head around to make a play on the ball. Plays the ball with soft hands and outstanding timing.

With the 34th Pick in the 2017 NFL Draft

The San Franciso 49'ers select

QB Deshone Kizer

Notre Dame

Image result for deshone kizer

the 49'ers considered taking the the young signal caller with the 2nd overall pick

so they are delighted to get him

“I’m excited about it,” Lynch told reporters Thursday. “I’m sure there will be a lot of different opinions as there always will be. Last night we had an interview with DeShone Kizer. This whole thing is not about an interview, but if we’re grading him on that alone, he blew the doors off of it. He’s an impressive young man. His film is impressive, too.”

Big quarterback with a big arm. Can make all of the throws. Has step and crank power to drive throws into the seams. Has the arm talent and willingness to challenge safeties on both intermediate and deep throws. Looks the part with thick frame to withstand NFL punishment. Over the top delivery creates tight spirals. Has powerful grip allowing for aggressive pump fakes to move defense around. When he's comfortable, will tie feet with his eyes as he scans the field. Adequate drive accuracy. If he feels a completion is imminent, he'll stand in and take a punishing shot. Strong, authoritative runner with the speed to hit a big play with his feet. Two-way threat in the red zone. Posted 18 rushing touchdowns over last two seasons

• Like 1

With the 35th pick in Madden pfl mock draft the e2539003ac4b90877eb1ff5d99439d43.thumb.jpg.de2b9657d3ac1c599c28ddf09c7962da.jpg

Select TE Evan ngram OLE MISS 

Ingram is smooth route running TE, he's the best route running TE in this class that I've seen, he has great speed to create seperation against linebackers and safeties, he's a good pass catcher  who had 65 receptions for 935 yards and 8 tds last season, he gives Blake Bortles a safety blanket to get the ball to quickly when he's in trouble, the only knock on him is his blocking as he wasn't used in that role much in Ole Miss, I read that he's compared to Jordan reed on nfl.com but for me he reminds me of a young Antonio Gates with how easy he makes his jump catches in coverage look and his separation,

other player's considered were Dan Feeney, Joe Mixon and Julian Davenport

@MurghBatwar and the Bears are on the clock

• Like 1

Wow. Some highly questionable picks have made me question who to take. In real life there's no way that the #1 WR, arguably the best TE Njoku []_[] and the QB with the highest ceiling are available so sticking with creating a dominant defence and getting developmental QB later this year or early next year.

Anyway, with the 35th pick, the Chicago Bears select:GRADE

Photo of Takkarist McKinley

Takkarist McKinley (DE)

HT: 6'2" WT: 250LBS.

POSITION: DE

SCHOOL: UCLA

ARM LENGTH: 34 3/4"

HANDS: 9 3/4"

Overview

McKinley signed with Cal coming out of high school, but failed to qualify academically. He went to Contra Costa College in 2013, winning all-league recognition with 18 tackles for loss and 10 sacks. He transferred to UCLA the following year, once his grades were settled. McKinley played in 10 games, starting one, that season (six tackles, 3.5 for loss, 2.5 sacks). He started 12 games as a junior, really beginning to show promise as a pass rusher (7.5 tackles, 4.5 sacks, four pass breakups, two forced fumbles). "Tak" stepped out in his senior year, receiving first-team All-Pac-12 notice with 18 tackles for loss, 10 sacks, and six pass breakups.

COMBINE STATS

• 40 YARD DASH: 4.59 SEC
  • BENCH PRESS: 24 REPS
  • VERTICAL JUMP: 33.0 INCH
  • BROAD JUMP: 122.0 INCH
  • 3 CONE DRILL: 7.48 SEC
  • 20 YARD SHUTTLE: 4.62 SEC

ANALYSIS

Strengths

Relentless worker bee on the field. Refuses to give offensive tackles a snap to catch their breath. Not a content player and is always charging towards the ball. Plus closing burst to sideline enables contain. Makes as many effort plays as anyone in the Pac 12. Unusually adept at bouncing off of blocks and maintaining play focus. Good stop/start change of direction talent. Long strides eat up ground in space. Scouts expect a strong forty time at combine. Combines speed with long arms for increased tackle radius. Became a playmaker. Saw 36 percent of his tackles come within two yards or less of line of scrimmage while sack total spiked considerably. Spins out of wash down blocks to work back towards the play. Consistently stuffs cut attempts. Raw, but pass rush flashes some speed to power. Pass rush counters fueled by lateral agility and effort.

Weaknesses

Hand skill and overall usage is completely uncultivated and impedes pass rush potential. Lacks slaps, swipes and a serviceable rip move to grease the edge as a rusher. Punch has very little force. Needs to get hands and feet need in unison. Long arms are irrelevant at times due to slow punch. Lacks bend around the edge. Upright pass rush allows tackles to flatten him up and over the rush arc with just an average punch. Movements are a little bit stiff. Redirected too easily. Needs to continue to add play strength. Success predicated on effort over rush talent and functional power. Needs to combine all three elements to his game. 

Sources Tell Us

"He was my sleeper headed into the season, but that went out the window with the season he had this year. I think he's a second rounder who needs time but he'll probably get overdrafted. He's going to be a productive pro." - AFC area scout

NFL Comparison

Tamba Hali

Bottom Line

Ascending edge prospect who racked up impressive TFL and sack numbers this year despite a relatively raw approach and skill set. He's a little stiff in his lower body, but flashes good athleticism once the ball is snapped. McKinley's motor is a translatable characteristic, but improved hand usage and pass rush mechanics are what could elevate his game to another level as a starting, 3-4 outside linebacker.

With the 37th pick of the PFL mock draft the Los Angeles Rams select......

TE David Njoku

imagejpeg

Arguably the best TE in the draft, and only 20years old is one of the youngest players in the draft. There's no way he'll be still here in the real draft but the Rams need pass catchers and he's one of the best receiving TE. []_[]

Edited by RamsDan
  • Like 1

With the 38th pick of the draft the Los Angeles Chargers select: 

Fabian Moreau - CB - UCLA

CB depth is a must for us given the last few seasons of injuries at the position. He's. Try athletic as has moved from rb to CB his tape is good to. My only concern is his injury suffered at his pro day but he has the talent.

The :jets: are on the clock @Joe

With the 39th pick the Jets take Corey Davis, WR, Western Michigan

CB is our biggest need and I was set on taking one, more than likely Kevin King if only to remind people that @SnapDan is a Huskies fan just in case you haven't heard

But I can't pass on Davis, a guy that's pretty much a consensus mid first round pick and 3rd best WR in the draft. He's coming off some injury issues but he has some great highlight clips, is fast and has brilliant route running and ball handling. Ties in nicely with my first pick as he gives Watson a weapon right from the off 

• Like 1

With the 40th pick of the 2017 NFL Draft the Carolina Panthers select

Obi Melifonwu, S from Connecticut 

Image result for obi melifonwu

Honestly so so surprised this guy is here! The way it was panning out I thought it'd be a tough choice between 2 of my favourite guys in this draft in Njoku and Obi. Rams solved that dilemma by taking Njoku, and I honestly feel like if this was an actual draft I'd have ran to the podium with this pick. Obi has the size and the numbers that lead me to believe he can have a real impact on the NFL and the Panthers back field.

I've been so high on this guy weeks before he had a great combine. became aware of him towards the end of January and started watching the tapes and thought he looked really really good. He then rocked up at the combine and along with a few others had an awesome combine. Panthers at SS have Tre Boston (who we certainly need to upgrade) and experience by signing Mike Adams in the off season, so some may question if this is really a need. For me Obi is BPA and a need - can then look at letting Boston go, and Obi could be the starter for years to come in my eyes, and I love the idea of having a backfield of Coleman and Obi

OVERVIEW

Obi Melifonwu (pronounced OH-bee mel-un-FON-woo) has been a four-year starter at UConn. The Massachusetts area high school star redshirted his first year with the Huskies, and became the team's starting free safety in 2013 (70 tackles, three tackles for loss, two interceptions, five pass breakups, two forced fumbles). He started 11 games the next season (75 stops, 3.5 TFL, three PBU), and 12 as a junior (88 tackles, two TFL, two INT, five PBU). Melifonwu was a first-team All-American Athletic Conference selection and his team's top tackler in 2016, making 118 hits, 2.5 for loss, leading the team with four interceptions and breaking up three other passes.

ANALYSIS

STRENGTHS

Elite size with premium athletic traits that should show up at combine testing. Four-year starter. Sharp focus when ball is in the air. Takes path to the ball with undercut of the route at the last second. Plus hand-eye coordination to flip the field with interceptions. Former cornerback who has the athleticism to cover matchup tight ends and some big slots. Posted six interceptions over last two seasons. Uses big frame to body-up seam-runners and constrict their windows. Downhill tackling machine. Plus range with a wide net to bring runners down once he gets his arms into them. Body-up hitter. Drastically reduced penalties totals over junior and senior season.

WEAKNESSES

Leggy and gets feet bundled up when asked to turn and sprint. Lacks desired instincts and will play with slow eyes at times. Has to see ball in the air before charging over to help on deep throws. Inconsistent with coverage responsibilities from high safety. Takes time to diagnose play-action. Rub routes found him near goal line. Can take inefficient paths to the ball that get him there a step too late. Would benefit from high-pointing rather than waiting on throws. 

SOURCES TELL US

"He's a freak. He's going to blow away the combine. He's fast and will post some of the best vertical and broad numbers at his position. He's going to get a lot better in the pros and he has that elite size that will get him overdrafted." -- AFC Pro Personnel Director

NFL COMPARISON

George Iloka

BOTTOM LINE

Big and athletic, he may lack the coverage qualities and instincts needed to work as a "last line of defense" player in a pass-happy division. Melifonwu is an effective downhill tackler who has the ability to match up against tight ends and make a living near the line of scrimmage. His football instincts aren't up to par, but the size and traits will be extremely enticing for teams who covet traits first

@Joe your up matey

Edited by shanew1705
  • Like 1

With the 41st pick, the Bengals select Carl Lawson, DE, Auburn

Reinforcing the front 7 again with a different type of edge rusher for them. With Atkins and Dunlap getting on they need more help with pass rush and Lawson is their guy

@Winti26 It's your pick!

With the 42nd Pick the Saints select from Texas Tech QB Patrick Mahomes.
Brees doesn't get any younger and Mahomes can learn a lot from a year or 2 behind Brees. My Original plan here was to pick Kizer goes I thought Mahomes would be gone at this point, but I'm more than happy to pick Mahomes.

STRENGTHS

Possesses NFL body type for work inside and out of the pocket. Has an undeniable swagger and confidence to his game. Accuracy has improved in each season since his freshman year. Naturally accurate in his every day throws. Comfortable challenging defenders in space. Has arm strength and fearlessness to attack the cover-2 voids down the sideline. Can make deep, field side throws. Cranks up velocity to fit passes into tight windows. Former pitcher who propels hips through his release with aggressive torque and never gets cheated on his follow-through. Can deliver strikes from a variety of arm angles. Expedites release on RPOs (run-pass option) or when pressure is mounting in pocket. Puts effort into play-action fakes. Relaxed and effective when throwing on the move. Can be a legitimate dual-threat in a boot-action offense. Improved his eye manipulation over the years and will eyeball linebackers to hold them while patterns unfold around them. Has pocket mobility to escape pressure and the poise to extend plays and find alternate targets. Hands are very strong. Can pump and reset without issues. Competes as a runner and is willing to go the extra mile for the first down.

WEAKNESSES

Can be inconsistent in his approach. Needs to play inside the offense and show more discipline. Too eager to go big game hunting. Ravenous appetite for the explosive play can also bring unwanted trouble. Willingness to default to playground style appears to limit his ability to get into a consistent rhythm. Needs to improve anticipatory reads and learn to take what the defense gives him. Decision making can go from good to bad in a moment's notice. Operates from a narrow base and allows his upper body and arm to race ahead of his feet. Has a dip and wind-up in his standard release. Explosive delivery and follow-through causes some throws to sail. Needs better touch on intermediate and deep balls. Carries ball a little low in the pocket. Impatient. Will leave pocket prematurely rather than standing in and winning in rhythm. Better as a scrambler than pure runner. Looked a little less mobile in the open field this season.

SOURCES TELL US

"He's got a great arm, big balls and he's mobile. He is going to drive his head coach crazy for the first couple of years and there is no getting around that. If it clicks for him and he's coachable, I think he could become a special quarterback." - NFC executive

NFL COMPARISON

Jay Cutler

BOTTOM LINE

Mahomes is a big, confident quarterback who brings a variety of physical tools to the party, but he's developed some bad habits and doesn't have a very repeatable process as a passer. Mahomes' ability to improvise and extend plays can lead to big plays for his offense, but he will have to prove he can operate with better anticipation and be willing to take what the defense gives him in order to win from the pocket. Mahomes will be a work in progress, but he's a high ceiling, low floor prospect

• Like 2

With the 43rd pick the Philadelphia Eagles select Trellech Basham  DE Ohio

Man there's some depth at cb with the likes of King and Tabor left along with Jones and I seriously considered doubling up in the first 2 rounds at corner but decided to go for a pass rusher to compensate for the loss of Connor Barwin.

Quick, agile and with a great work ethic to work on areas he will need to in the nfl as tackles will be quicker and more agile than he is used to, he may take a bit of time to get fully up to speed but has the raw tools to come in and contribute right away

Bills select CB Kevin King

Currently at work so will post pics n rationale later

Can someone let the next person know please

Cardinals take Jarrad Davis, LB Florida.

Need LB help after Minter left for FA. Dansby has been bought in again for a year allowing Davis time to get acclimatised and a starter

In the second round the Colts select T Taylor Moton, Western Michigan

I think he would start at RG for us and will be a Pro Bowler at some point, great talent and a force in the run game. NFL comparison is Osemele for me.

64956488.jpg

With the 47th Pick in the 2017 Madden PFL Mock Draft

THE BALTIMORE RAVENS SELECT

COOPER KUPP, WR, EASTERN WASHINGTON

hqdefault.jpg

The best pass catcher in FBS history, Kupp set records with 428 receptions, 6,464 receiving yard and 73 receiving touchdowns over his 4 year career at Eastern Washington. He was a man amongst boys, but really took his game to another level going against bigger schools. He had 246 yards and 3 TDs against Oregon, 206 yards and 3 TDs against Washington State, and 145 yards and 3 TDs against Marcus Peters and Sidney Jones at Washington. This is a reason why i feel he will have no problem playing at the NFL level.

Steve Smith Sr said at the combine that Kupp has the best hands in the entire draft, and he is able to make the circus catches look effortless. His father and Grandfather both played in the NFL, so the football bloodline runs strong. The only noticeable knock on Kupp is his speed. At the combine he an a 4.62 40 yard dash, but improved this to a 4.56 at his pro day. His speed on the field however is not in question, and there have been plenty of times hes blazed past DB's at all levels of competition. He is also great at fighting for yardage and has used a powerful stiff arm and trucking ability to get the most out of every play. 

Since Steve Smiths retirement, Baltimore has a big need for a reliable pass catcher that can fight off defenders. Kupp brings all this to the table and more, and while he isn't the most gifted athlete, his hard work, dedication and competitive mentality will potentially put him up there with the best receivers in the NFL right now. 

@Vondia The Vikings are on the clock

With the 48th Pick in the 2017 Madden PFL Mock Draft

THE MINNESOTA VIKINGS SELECT WR Chris Godwin

Was hoping Kupp fell one more spot but also happy with Chris! The Vikings have a great defense and need to get more weapons on offense that's why with their first pick in the draft they go WR. 

The Delaware Gatorade High School Player of the Year in 2013 (state-record 18 touchdowns as a senior, 15 career return touchdowns) has helped Penn State make national headlines for the right reasons over the past three years. Rod Christopher Godwin contributed immediately for the Nittany Lions, starting three games (25-321, two TDs). He had a breakout sophomore season, earning third-team All-Big Ten honors with 69 catches for 1,101 yards and five scores. Though some of his receiving numbers were down in an honorable mention all-conference junior year (59-982), Godwin scored a career-high 11 times. He saved the best performances in his career for bowl games, first as a freshman (7-140, TD vs. Boston College in Pinstripe Bowl), then in 2015 (6-133 vs. Georgia in TaxSlayer.com Bowl) and finally in his last college game (9-187, 2 TDs vs. USC in the Rose Bowl).

@trooper uk your redskins are up

Keeping this moving.

The Redskins select Caleb Brantley, DT, Florida

hi-res-ce81a3e2f8ca065e9da1481e278052da_

Able to play all along the D-line, he will add some much needed talent to the Redskins front.

@StueyH111 Tampa is up

Tampa Bay Buccaneers select:

Joe Mixon (RB) - Oaklahoma

Many believe Mixon is a 1st round talent based purely on his on field activities. Unfortunately for him, several of his activities off the field have made headlines, including an assault on a young woman which saw him serve a lengthy ban.

If the Bucs do not pick up Cook in the 1st round (which I haven't in this mock), I'd be happy for them to take a bit of a risk such as this. I accept the pick is a risk, but it potentially has huge rewards if Mixon can stay on the straight and narrow and produce to his ability with the Bucs.

Doug Martin is out of favour with the Bucs and will serves 3 more matches of his 4 match ban for PED use at the start of next season. Due to this violation, his guaranteed salary has now been voided and the scenarios where Doug Martin is not cut from the Bucs at some point in the near future are few and far between.

Mixon has the ability to be a true 3 down back in the NFL and is an extremely good option in the passing game, even if the Bucs chose to ease him in on the passing game. He is a constant threat for breaking an explosive big play and could make an instant impact to the Bucs offense given Martin's suspension at the start of the season.

Risky pick, but with the Bucs not having many holes this year, this could be a real steal of a pick.

Edited by DanMcGrath77

With the 51st puck in the 2017 NFL Draft 

the Denver Broncos select 

WR Zay Jones 

East Carolina 

imagejpeg

Edited by Mcmanus

With the 52nd pick of the 2017 NFL Draft 

the Cleveland Browns select 

S Eddie Jackson 

Alabama 

imagejpeg

Edited by Mcmanus

With the 53rd pick the Detroit Lions select

JOSH JONES, S, NC STATE

1609878.jpg

Jones lit it up at the combine, posting a 4.41 40, 20 reps on the bench press and a 37.5 inch vertical. He has a great combination of size and speed, and can be a sideline to sideline defender. He has good ball skills and always sticks with the quarterbacks eyes. He plays extremely aggressive, and has had times when he's tried too hard to knock out a player that he misses the tackle completely (much like my hit stick skills on madden). He stays glued to the quarterback so much that sometimes he loses track of his assignment, but this is something that can be coached up. He has everything you want in an in the box safety.

He will join a Safety group of Glover Quin and Tavon Wilson, and can have a good shot at competing with both for a starting spot. 

@Aaron Dolphins are up

Miami Dolphins take - Tyus Bowser - LB - Houston ACC

With a lot of linebackers going earlier than predicted in this draft, hopefully Miami haven't reached in a position of need.

Photo of Tyus Bowser

Made a late switch from basketball, yet explosive, quick-twitch athlete. Bursts out of his stance and challenges the edge. Good shoulder turn at the edge of rush and can dip and corner with very tight radius. Showed ability to play in variety of spots. Crisp change of direction ability. Took to his coaching and showed drastic improvement against the run. 

Hopefully a good 1st and 2nd down addition.

Edited by Aaron

With the 55th in the 2017 NFL Draft 

The New York Football Giants Select 

LB Duke Riley 

LSU 

imagejpeg

With the 56th pick of the 2017 NFL draft, the Oakland Raiders select

Larry Ogunjobi, DT, Charlotte.

I considered another LB but think we need penetration from the interior line to help Mack & co. 

• Like 1

With the 57th pick of the 2017 NFL draft, the Houston Texans select

Cordrea Tankersley CB, Clemson Tigers

Was doubting between two Tigers but ended up going with Cordrea. Tankersley is 6,1" and ran a 4,40 on the combine which means he got some wheels. Also got his few share of picks and he will be starting right away in the hole that Bouye left. With the pressure we normally get he doesn't have to cover for to long so i think our defense is a good place to land for a rough diamond like Cordrea. 

"Has an impressive body of work as a lockdown, boundary cornerback but he has some holes in his transitions that could open the door for more separation on the next level. While he's not always the most fluid in coverage, his 6-foot-1 frame and eight interceptions will be the two numbers some teams will focus heavily on. If he runs well at pre-draft workouts, his stock could soar thanks to his size and production."

Edited by Vondia

@Coco0981 your Hawks are up :up: 

With the 58th pick of the NFL draft Seattle select Quincy Wilson (CB) from the University of Florida

A tall physical corner who measures 6'1 and has 32 inch arms who will fit the type of scheme that Seattle run which needs big corners who can play press man against the big receivers in the NFL today. He doesn't shy away from making tackles so will help in the run game aswell.

With all the trade rumours around Sherman it seems Seattle wants to get cheaper at corner with Thomas and Chancellor both due contracts next year. Due to our scheme we don't need great corners as Thomas provides deep middle cover

Edited by Coco0981

I don't know much about the Chiefs and Volki has missed the deadline, but a quick look at their team I'll take a punt with an ILB I like myself.

with the 59th pick in the draft the Chiefs select : Raekwon McMillan

OVERVIEW

McMillan couldn't pull off the double Butkus Award win as the best linebacker at both the high school (won in 2013) and collegiate levels (finalist in 2015), but his play during his three years in Columbus won over NFL scouts. He graduated from high school a semester early to join OSU football for spring practice, which paid off in the fall when he played in all 15 games, lining up for more snaps than the starter in nine of those contests. He won second-team All-Big Ten honors in 2015, leading the team with 119 tackles (four for loss, four pass breakups). McMillan didn't rack up quite as many tackles as a junior (102, seven for loss) but still gained recognition for his play as a second-team All-American and first-team All-Big Ten selection.

ANALYSIS

STRENGTHS

Downhill movement after the snap is his norm. Understands angles. Can outpace pulling guards to the spot with his play quickness. Reads his keys and responds. Plays with good anticipation of lane choice by the runner. Attacks hands-first into blockers with good arm extension to keep his frame clean. Good zone-cover ability. Reads quarterback's eyes and slides into passing lanes. Has added additional thickness during his tenure.

WEAKNESSES

Struggles to leverage his gap as a take-on linebacker. Gets widened out of his gap by size. Gets trapped on the wrong side of the block. Tends to play over the top of a block rather than under it. Slow to disengage and tackle. Tight in his lower half. Missing the quick, reactive change of direction to consistently secure shifty runners. Delayed in stop-start pursuit to the sideline. Has some limitations in man coverage.

SOURCES TELL US

"I see him as a backup early on who will become a starter at SAM (strong-side) for a 4-3 team. He's been pretty productive but I don't see anything special." -- South area scout for NFC team

NFL COMPARISON

Mason Foster

BOTTOM LINE

McMillan has too many issues standing his ground and leveraging his gap as an interior run defender and could end up outside in the pros. He might have benefited from playing alongside a slew of NFL talent, but he's active and plays the game with good instincts. He has the potential to become an average starter in the league.

Cowboys are short on secondary and I have studied a lot of guys in these positions because the Hawks have big needs their. It came down between 2 guys and I could pick either and be happy so it was win win.

With pick 60 the Cowboys select : CB Ahkello Witherspoon (Colorado)

I watched him in December and he really caught my eye and watched him since, he is 6'3 can run and kept John Ross to 50 yards in the first game he got my attention. The Cowboys would love a franchise CB and this is the guy!

OVERVIEW

Witherspoon has an interesting family history. His father, Lucky, was a running back at Nevada. His grandfather, Jimmy, was a blues artist who had a number one hit on the R&B charts in 1949 called "Ain't Nobody's Business". Witherspoon's given first name is actually James, but he goes by Ahkello, the first of two middle names (Elec). The pre-med student went to junior college after high school to play football; he was 5-foot-8 as a high school senior but listed at 6-foot-3 during his one year at Sacramento City Community College (where he had three INT, seven PBU). He moved on to Colorado in 2014, playing in 10 games and starting one (12 tackles, two PBU) before becoming a part-time starter the following season (41 tackles, two INT, four PBU). Witherspoon was one of three members of the Buffaloes' secondary that were named second-team All-Pac-12 in the program's bounce-back season. He tied with teammate Tedric Thompson with a nation-leading 23 passes defensed on the year (one INT, 22 PBU), while Chibode Awuzie was the other part of that trio.

ANALYSIS

STRENGTHS

Exceptional combination of size and speed. Hips are fluid and feet are fast. Opens hips and gets to top speed quickly with long, easy strides to chase receivers down the field. Plus athleticism allows for quick recovery when beaten early off release. Showed marked improvement in his instincts and overall feel for coverage. Is beginning to recognize patterns and play ahead of the routes. Played multiple sports growing up including baseball which helped sharpen hand-eye coordination and ball skills. Takes playmaking angles to the ball and defends the catch point with tremendous timing. His 2016 completion percentage against was just 26.5. Tied for second in nation in passes defensed with 20. Was a long time soccer player and has the foot quickness to mirror match receivers.

WEAKNESSES

Has a gangly frame that is all arms and legs. Will have to add more functional strength to compete against NFL physicality. Keeps weight too far back in his backpedal. Technique somewhat raw and still needs refining. For all his ball skills, ended up with just three interceptions in 143 targets. Had some balance and footwork issues when matching receivers through route breaks. Tape of his run support is not for the weak. Almost always in a state of retreat when run heads his way. Unwilling to step downhill and stick his nose in to help contain the edge. Passivity against the run cost his team two touchdowns against Michigan.

NFL COMPARISON

Patrick Robinson

BOTTOM LINE

Possesses a rare combination of size and speed and saw his ball production take a substantial leap this season. Witherspoon played just one season of high school football so his technique and route awareness should continue to improve. Witherspoon's length and his ability to mirror and match in space should launch him into early playing time, but his unwillingness to tackle and hit will be a complete turn-off for some teams

@Scottyob Packers are up

With the 61st pick of the 2017 draft the Green Bay Packers select Adoree Jackson

The most electric player by far in college football this season. Jackson ran a 4.42 at the combine had 5 interceptions & 11 Pass breakups on the season along with some of the best punt and kick off returns your likely to see.

Its about time the packers got either a playmaker or an athlete in the secondary and with this pick they get both. Provides great value as a returner and special teams ace while learning the Defensive scheme under capers (& maybe the offensive one awell if Mc wants to give him some snaps as a Rb)

I debated going Jabrill Peppers or Dan Feeney but Jackson has to much potential to pass up on and can be a true corner I'm the nfl unlike peppers who will be a bit of tweener.

Steelers pick Jalen Tabor, CB Florida. 

After sorting out the pass rushing issue in the last pick, Steelers pick a Corner to boost their secondary. Good range CB with decent ball skills - only question mark is on his deep speed but can be accommodated within the Steelers zone scheme. 

@Scottyob falcons are up