Match reports; what do we do with them?

Vondia

Match reports what are we gonna do about them?   

21 members have voted

1. 1. So what do we do with the match reports?

• I want to keep the rule and add a punishment.
    • I want to keep it as it is with rule but no punishment.
    • I want to scrap the rule all together.

• Group:  EAFL Coach
  • Content Count:  3,233
  • Timezone:  Europe/Amsterdam

So as everyone knows the obligation to write up a match report was introduced this madden. It was meant to up the activity on the forum and get everyone involved. I think it's a good method because just the score on DL doesn't tell the story of the game. Also when I lose I like to read the take on the game of the one who beat me. The problem with it atm is that there's no punishment. People who do write their match reports are getting frustrated by the guys who don't do it. And it can be annoying when you get punished for breaking another rule. When people are breaking this rule every week. That's what this poll is meant for, we want to know if you like to keep the rule and add a punishment or scrap the rule all together...

Edited by Vondia

• Group:  Member
  • Content Count:  2,169
  • Timezone:  America/Los_Angeles

I vote scrap the rule and here's why. 

This place is a community and like any community it it's only as good as its members want it to be. 

I was concerned that we would reach this point with the match reports but chose to remain quite(shocking I know) to see if people would feel compelled to write them. 

Last Madden @Joe and I were some of the most vocal people about the lack of match reports largely due to us being part of the few writing them week after week.

I don't believe in creating a false image in what this community represents. If Coaches don't feel compelled to write reports so be it, not everyone is here for the same reason. 

Censorship, over regulation and unilateral decision making aren't things I think if when I think of a community. The only thing that'll make me leave is if the community turns into something like that.

Overall, I love it here and occasionally get p**sed with things but that's the case with any community. I believe most everyone here has good intentions and I feel something like match reports should be left to those who want to complete them. I'd rather a handful of genuine reports than a bunch of trumped up ones.

Kudos for bringing it to a vote, this is a community not a dictatorship.:up:

Cheers for your opinion @DaBurg864 (could you click on the poll to make it easy to see how many people think what). 

Main reason I would like to keep it is because I feel sometimes people need a nudge in the right direction. We don't ask people to write a minimum of 300 words or something like that. 

But it's good to get different opinions :up: 

• Like 1

Sry I thought I had voted already.

• Group:  PFL Legend
  • Content Count:  8,458
  • Timezone:  Europe/London

14 minutes ago, Vondia said:

Cheers for your opinion @DaBurg864 (could you click on the poll to make it easy to see how many people think what). 

Main reason I would like to keep it is because I feel sometimes people need a nudge in the right direction. We don't ask people to write a minimum of 300 words or something like that. 

But it's good to get different opinions :up: 

What is the 'right direction'? I think everyone should stream their games but you don't, does that mean you need a nudge in the right direction too?

I'm for scrapping the rule. While I see the good in the idea, it was done too half bummed, bringing in a rule but not punishing anyone for breaking it is pointless. You're always going to have people who put in different levels of effort to the community, never going to change that. If you start to punish people you will see coaches walk away

• Like 1

That's the whole reason we made this topic because as it is now it's useless. Either it's a rule with punishment or the rule shall be scrapped. The way it's now it is pointless. And with right direction I meant more people on the forum. And I wouldn't mind everyone streaming their games I also do most of mine. However this topic was purely meant to talk about something (the rule without punishment) that wasn't working. And if most people are for scrapping the rule that's fine by me too :up: 

• Like 1

• Content Count:  10,009

iTS A SHAME PEOPLE DON'T DO THEM AT TIME, i DON'T ALWAYS BUT i WILL ALWAYS REPLY TO ONE i'M TAGGED IN.

I can't stream due to s**tty internet.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, DiodeX said:

iTS A SHAME PEOPLE DON'T DO THEM AT TIME, i DON'T ALWAYS BUT i WILL ALWAYS REPLY TO ONE i'M TAGGED IN.

I can't stream due to s**tty internet.

Gotta win to write a report, so that's understandable.:shifty:

I used to get p**sed when the occasional coach would ignore being tagged in a match report. I understand needing to collect your thoughts after losing but to completely ignore someone is just poor. 

I'm no longer bothered by it as it speaks more about their character than anything else.

Thanks for your input!

• Like 1

• Content Count:  4,055

The majority of the time I know I simply turn madden off as soon as the game is done and forget about the game completely :lol: 

Think it'll be very forced if you punish people for not writing up a match report. I know I like reading them and will always respond to one that has been written, but I reckon you'd get a load of 3 line reports if you force it. I much prefer steaming games for others to enjoy (or endure in my case :lol:) a quite often you can't put into words what happens in this game.

• Like 2

• Group:  PS5 Coach
  • Content Count:  2,670

I've been very lax for various reason and for me if there was a punishment then that would motivate me to put in more reports. Maybe the punishment should be dropping one or two spots down the draft list when we pick teams for madden 18?

Maybe we can put a template in with scores, who scored, top yardage etc. Don't necessarily have to put a match report in if you don't want to but just record the scores. Will give people the option of putting in something quick and factual with the option of writing more. Will give an opportunity of discussion about the game and interaction. 

• Like 2

• Content Count:  1,849

3 strike punishment 

1st a warning

2nd drop a top player on offense

3rd simmed game

For the great players a go to guy or a simmed game could hurt them as for bad players like me it won't make a difference as only winners write match report:up:

• Content Count:  2,841

Although I always do my reports and believe everyone should, I don't think we should force it with punishments, if people can't be bummed to even just report the score minimum takes 1 minute, then just leave them to it, punishments don't feel like the right way to encourage people to post to me

• Like 1

• Group:  Staff
  • Content Count:  5,997

2 hours ago, ZoSo said:

Maybe the punishment should be dropping one or two spots down the draft list when we pick teams for madden 18?

Maybe for another thread/topic 

but I like the idea of site interaction coming into play when deciding team draft order for next madden 

• Like 1

• Group:  GM Owner
  • Content Count:  853
  • Timezone:  Europe/Dublin

It's a tough one, ideally everyone should want to do them. I think if you start punishing people though Itl just be detrimental to the site in the long term with people leaving. I agree with @Mcmanus that it should affect draft order & your status on getting straight into next year's leagues if numbers are high. Personally as a side note I don't think twitch should be viewed as a must do or that people who don't are lazy, because sometimes it just isn't possible due to people's internet speeds (mines s**t due to living in the countryside in ireland). That ended up longer than I expected :lol:

• Like 1

• Content Count:  1,703
  • Timezone:  Europe/Dublin

I put in match reports when i can, i enjoy writing them up, as for twitch i would love to stream games but as @Scottyob said, the internet in countryside ireland is pretty crap and we're actually probably lucky to have it as good as it is

• Like 1

Rather than punishing players for not writing a report, perhaps rewarding players for writing a report or responding to a report they were tagged into. 

Agree with Deburg that we shouldn't punish people though so this way might be better 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, ZoSo said:

Rather than punishing players for not writing a report, perhaps rewarding players for writing a report or responding to a report they were tagged into. 

Agree with Deburg that we shouldn't punish people though so this way might be better 

What are you going to reward them with, a cuddle? :lol: 

16 minutes ago, Joe said:

What are you going to reward them with, a cuddle? :lol: 

I could do with a cuddle tbh.

Only things we can reward people with is to give them a bump when selecting teams. Other thing is for then to get a bump on FA after the draft. Everything else has the chance of impacting the integrity of the franchise 

• Like 1

Most definitely stay clear of incentives for reports. 

Incentives should be left to competitions since they usually have very little subjectivity to them.

@Vondia mentioned a "nudge in the right direction" I believe that peer pressure could be the solution. The more people stream and write reports the more others may feel compelled to do it as well.

Regardless, no one should be punished for being who they are. Leave it up to the community to create the experience they want to have.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, ZoSo said:

I could do with a cuddle tbh.

Only things we can reward people with is to give them a bump when selecting teams. Other thing is for then to get a bump on FA after the draft. Everything else has the chance of impacting the integrity of the franchise 

I hate it personally. The draft should be based on ability only, but that is only my opinion. You can absolutely make the argument that if someone is a more active member they deserve a better pick, but personally for me it's ability only

Like I said earlier and actually DABURGGGGG has said, you're always going to have people who just don't take as much part as others, that's never going to change. It's been the same going back to the F365 days. I was the first to regularly stream my games on here and I don't think that's particularly worthy of having a higher pick than someone who does, although some coach of the year awards wouldn't go amiss :shifty: 

• Like 2

• Group:  PFL Executive
  • Content Count:  4,099

I don't agree with 'ability' order, it's a CPU game. No one is naturally good, if you put in the time to be good then you will be. Seems silly to punish people with crappy draft picks for learning how to play, but I understand why it's in place,not everyone has time to practice and you don't want a player who struggles every year ending up with the Browns and someone winning every year like @RamsDan getting a team like the Falcons...whoops :lol:  Site activity would be harder to work out, who's more valuable would ruffle a few feathers :lol:

I've always thought the only fair way of doing the team draft is random, as we have saw this year people with 'ability' has changed from last year, but that's getting a little off topic!

Thought about this before and I don't think there would be a punishment worthy of not posting a match report, even just a score. Sometimes people forget or some people just don't want too......Next years Super League will weed the bad eggs out :lol:

Can see the argument but we haven't really relied on league placings when ranking coaches. This would be a factor amongst a number of others, weighted accordingly so we are only talking a few spots. 

It will be rewarding people's contribution to the site, be it by match reports, conversations, new topics or whatever other criteria you deem necessary. We did it before where coaches who had been here for years given priority to coaches who had just joined. This would be similar. We all enjoyed quick hits or Mock drafts etc and I think people should be rewarded if they step up and contribute to the site. Especially as things have dried up for the past year or so. That sort of activity is needed if we wish to attract new players. 

Plus you already have legend status Joe - don't be getting greedy now.

It's actually the other way around snapdan - players with the worse record get the first pick and so on.

I'm only talking about a few spots jump - in this draft it would be the difference between picking the falcons and the chiefs. Like last year I don't think there are any horrendous teams anymore. Even the 49ers will be better. 

• Content Count:  1,101

I'll be perfectly honest, the nudge worked for me.

For the good close games, I'd usually write something unsubstantial for it but writing them for the games I win now, I tend to go a lot more in-depth now (almost too much).

I've never streamed my game before to avoid any chance of lag, I'll be much more likely to do so in the future now though I've given it a go without many issues.

If Beam is as good as stated, it might make it a lot simpler to stream games as well in the future.

Edited by Bos
  • Like 2

• Content Count:  7,671

Option 2 is pointless

Rule but with no punishment. Umm it's not a rule then. That's the same as scrapping it

• Content Count:  7,671

Also the business re ability not nattering on different games

Of course it does hence the same people are generally good and the same people generally aren't

Ability ino should play a part in draft order but that's not this topic

As I say opto on 2 is utterly pointless as with no punishment for breaking the rule it's not a rule

I don't win much, don't write big match reports when I do but do always put the score and a brief report