PFL - What's going on?!

RamsDan

• Group:  Staff
  • Content Count:  4,238
  • Timezone:  America/New_York

You may or may not have noticed we seem to be losing coaches faster than @SnapDan can throw INT's :lol: 

We run the franchises for you guys and without the coaches to participate there doesn't seem much point.

Is it something were doing wrong as a site? or admin team?

Is their something we could do to improve things. Any new suggestions or ideas?

For me personally the game is better than it has been in years so I'm a bit baffled why we are losing so many.

I know some guys have left for other reasons, but it still seem's to be an alarming rate

• Like 4

• Content Count:  5,997
  • Timezone:  Europe/London

so lads

we really need your thoughts and input

I for one really want the leagues to continue

what say you?

• Group:  Member
  • Content Count:  7,671

Always happens this time of year

Nfl isn't new season anymore. Madden isn't new anymore

Not the excitement of picking and moulding your team. Happens every version between jan-the end of the version

• Like 1

• Group:  PFL Executive
  • Content Count:  4,099

I thought this would be the most active time of year, nfl is finished this is the only way to cure the nfl buzz 

• Content Count:  10,009

9 minutes ago, Riverman said:

Always happens this time of year

Nfl isn't new season anymore. Madden isn't new anymore

Not the excitement of picking and moulding your team. Happens every version between jan-the end of the version

It does, but it seems amplified this year.

• Group:  PFL Legend
  • Content Count:  7,623

I don't know what to say really. I go through ups and downs with Madden but always seem to stick it out to the end even if enthusiasm is waning.

Personally my interest usually lasts for at least 2 seasons if the game is a good one, like this one is. I'm as enthusiastic about season 2 of the Pro 8 as I was in season 1. Gutted my division is down to 2 now as the constant playing CPU games is what will lose my interest to be honest.

• Like 4

I don't play CPU games as it just plain cheats too much. But previously it was far to easy to beat the CPU. I don't put the time in to get better at this game now I know that's on me.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, DiodeX said:

I don't play CPU games as it just plain cheats too much. But previously it was far to easy to beat the CPU. I don't put the time in to get better at this game now I know that's on me.

I play a lot of offline franchise these days. CPU is actually quite entertaining to play this version (as much as it can be). However, I'm not on MaddenPFL to play the CPU.

• Like 1

• Content Count:  1,696

i dont think anyone on admins or the site is doing anything wrong .. maybe people are just getting to busy with work .. i know i mentioned to vondia a few weeks back prior to the draft in the pro8 that i might have to let the pro 8 go because of work and band commitments ..but after thinking about it .. i agreed to try fit in where i can ... also what phil says its play iff time the game has been out a while .. and maybe how you manage your franchise might have a lot in saying as well for people sticking it out til the end and madden 18 ?

• Like 1

I think there just seems to be less 'new' people around these days to be honest. In my experience, there are always drop outs and it's a challenge to get enough new people coming in to make up for the loss of those dropping out.

The retention rate seems to be down also. I don't pay too much attention, but there does seem to be a lot that join and then are off within a season or two. Perhaps this could have something to do with @DaBurg864 suggestion of a clique?... I wouldn't have thought this myself but I am a bit of a Vet now and maybe don;t pick up on these things.

I remember when I ran the UKML over on the other site, our retention of players was extremely good. The community aspect of that site was excellent. Regular power rankings, stats, reports etc. It was bloody hard work to be honest though and it was only because I was off on the sick at the time that I managed to maintain that level of dedication.

However, we no longer have these things over here. Maybe we should. People looking out for themselves on reports, write ups and rankings made people really feel part of something.

Just a few ideas. Hope they help.

Not knocking the Commish's in suggesting any of this. You guys do a fantastic job and at the end of the day, I had to step down because I can no longer commit the time that you guys do and I'm very grateful you give up your time and effort to run the leagues. I wish I could still help more.

Think the community aspect may be key. Get them in and get them hooked. Make them feel part of something so that they don't want to leave. How we deliver that experience is up to us all. Not just the Commissioners.

Edited by StueyH111
  • Like 2

• Group:  PFL Executive
  • Content Count:  4,099

I think we've had the proof people like reading mid season reports, draft mocks, team mocks all that kind of thing the comments and views on posts prove this. People like watching other league games on twitch, viewing numbers prove this. 

My opinion not enough people make an effort to make this a community, the site is dead its pretty boring all you see is people arranging games and the odd post on the nfl game week.

There isn't enough league interaction or life interaction, it feels like a bunch of strangers arranging games against each other and I know personally this has been the case a few times this year when I've no idea who the person is I'm playing apart from a user name.. 

I thought the reason people joined these leagues was to make friends who like the nfl first and Madden second, I know that was me. 

It seems most can't be bothered to post match reports, schedule games and it seems to be getting worse.

I would love to know how everyone thinks we could improve this, get more people to twitch, get more people talking more. 

I would have no problem myself doing reports, blogs, twitching and whatever as I love reading the stuff myself and other people's opinions on my team etc but there is not enough people willing to do the same and help make this a better, more active fun site to look on. 

• Like 3

• Content Count:  462

Personally I've enjoyed it a lot - to the point where I've stepped up to the big boys table in pro-10. It's improved my game no end, to the point where I took the Browns at 69OVR to the SB offline on All-Madden. I don't think my wife is that enamored with it but hey-ho. Although as I went back to uni, I've also got more time to put to it. 

The admins etc have done an excellent job (apart from that 49ers trade booo) @Vondia and @SnapDan were instrumental it keeping me going with the Browns early on and I'm pleased they did. 

My only gripes are on organising games, too many occasions when someone has said yes I'll play and then vanishes or says they'll go on AP and they haven't. Beyond that some of the rules annoy me, notifying on hurry up and not allowing 4th down fakes specifically. Oh and the FA routine - I think it should just be a case of first come first served in the game. If you miss out on the player you wanted, tough titties - thats life and that's what happens in the NFL. Pre-season as well annoyed me, I want to play pre-season games because I want to try different looks, schemes, plays, players etc and you can't get that in training mode or playing offline but others seemed to totally drop it.

Maybe bring in an owner league? that could be interesting. Maybe set up an FB group? The forum is fun but with different layers etc you can miss out on a lot, 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, SnapDan said:

There isn't enough league interaction or life interaction, it feels like a bunch of strangers arranging games against each other and I know personally this has been the case a few times this year when I've no idea who the person is I'm playing apart from a user name.. 

Very good point.

• Content Count:  462

1 minute ago, SnapDan said:

I think we've had the proof people like reading mid season reports, draft mocks, team mocks all that kind of thing the comments and views on posts prove this. People like watching other league games on twitch, viewing numbers prove this. 

My opinion not enough people make an effort to make this a community, the site is dead its pretty boring all you see is people arranging games and the odd post on the nfl game week.

I thought the reason people joined these leagues was to make friends who like the nfl first and Madden second, I know that was me. 

It seems most can't be bothered to post match reports, schedule games and it seems to be getting worse.

I would love to know how everyone thinks we could improve this, get more people to twitch, get more people talking more. 

I would have no problem myself doing reports, blogs, twitching and whatever as I love reading the stuff myself and other people's opinions on my team etc but there is not enough people willing to do the same and help make this a better, more active fun site to look on. 

I don't know how to twitch, to show a game or to watch others - as an FYI from a newbie. Again I'd argue setting up an FB group would be beneficial.

Time obviously does play a huge huge part and guys willing to do it

When joe and btg used to do quick hits that was amazing but very time consuming for those guys

Admittedly I'm guilty as used to try and do articles etc but I had to have a break from madden a couple of years ago as was draining me. I'm back and enjoying it now but I think part of that is to do with not overloading myself with stuff 

Re the community aspect and the idea of a fb group and people not posting/chatting/getting to know each other.  One word....

SHOUTBOX

This was huge when I joined. People talked crap all day in there. Was really busy and really felt like a good community. It was decided to take it away for the primary reason that people used it instead of posting in the forums. Well that hasn't changed so why not bring it back as that's a great way of dipping in and out through the day to discuss any random old nonsense

Used to then just have it on nfl Sunday rather than permanently and was really busy. Got taken away so people could post in a thread. Good idea but hasn't worked as people don't

Have a fb group or whatsapp etc it's not on the site

#bringbacktheshoutbox

• Like 2

• Content Count:  1,101

As someone who hasn't really put much effort on the site before the last couple of seasons, I do feel it does make the games a lot more enjoyable when you do so. I think there is a lot of inconsistency with regards to rules, especially those involving a mic and posting a report at the end of the game. I wasn't really a fan of it initially but since it became "compulsory" I've found myself wanting to write them more. I haven't noticed anything being done when they aren't being posted though so people will continue not to do so.

It's helped this year that I'm in a great division in the Pro 10 and have had good close games with Riverman, PatsUK and p4ddy. Getting on with them and having enjoyable games makes me want to play much more. Any time there's a lot of cheese that comes into it with running the same play over and over again (on offence or defence that is), it's easy to get frustrated and want to give it up but at least I know that I'm not getting that in the majority of my games.

I don't post much here on anything not Madden related as I'm more often than not on a different forum if I'm honest, but it seems like the rest of the forums isn't used too much other than big announcements or NFL related things.

19 minutes ago, ojm84 said:

Personally I've enjoyed it a lot - to the point where I've stepped up to the big boys table in pro-10. It's improved my game no end, to the point where I took the Browns at 69OVR to the SB offline on All-Madden. I don't think my wife is that enamored with it but hey-ho. Although as I went back to uni, I've also got more time to put to it. 

The admins etc have done an excellent job (apart from that 49ers trade booo) @Vondia and @SnapDan were instrumental it keeping me going with the Browns early on and I'm pleased they did. 

My only gripes are on organising games, too many occasions when someone has said yes I'll play and then vanishes or says they'll go on AP and they haven't. Beyond that some of the rules annoy me, notifying on hurry up and not allowing 4th down fakes specifically. Oh and the FA routine - I think it should just be a case of first come first served in the game. If you miss out on the player you wanted, tough titties - thats life and that's what happens in the NFL. Pre-season as well annoyed me, I want to play pre-season games because I want to try different looks, schemes, plays, players etc and you can't get that in training mode or playing offline but others seemed to totally drop it.

Maybe bring in an owner league? that could be interesting. Maybe set up an FB group? The forum is fun but with different layers etc you can miss out on a lot, 

The issues with that is that people do not know where to draw the line. You'll get people, especially the players who are good already, running hurry up more and knackering out defences and making it even easier to score. 4th down fakes could be interesting but only on the basis of it being limited over an entire season, the worry is of them getting used too much again.

FA has to be how it is otherwise it just becomes a free for all where the quickest player gets all the best players, it's the fairest way to keep players spread out. If you're not one of the first 10 players on there would be f**k all left.

Pre-season I enjoy personally but I can see why it was moved forward in the Pro10 with the big break between the end of the regular season and the start of the new season. I think everyone just wanted to get back to playing proper games.

• Like 1

• Content Count:  866
  • Timezone:  Europe/Stockholm

I think the biggest issue is the lack of new players. Maybe we should try advertise/recruit, together. Not only on UK sites, but German, Swedish etc. I would happily give this a proper Go.

Shoutbox is a great idea, especially on game days. Chat between the commercials, love it. 

Facebook page, @SnapDan mentioned we don't really know who we are playing, this is a good way to see it. 

Myself has nothing but good to say about this community. I was warmly welcomed and have loved every single minute of my stay. For next year I would love to go to a London game and meet up with some of you. I wasn't able to do this till now because of studies and economical struggles. But that has changed.

• Like 1

• Group:  PFL Coach
  • Content Count:  3,707

been on site for a while now started with carlos doc pilks magical mr rich now theirs a blast from past. 

dolmite lol grumpy fooka and dallas fan. hutts uk and many more i cant remember 

Wright y who i think started it all he still on line at times .. 

was a serious madden player few years back when i use to b decent at madden at times but lost my mo jo but now tryingbto get it back i have more time for madden this season and more

to me admins great job nowt u can do with players dropping all ways gonna happen.. 

b sad day if this site ever folded otherwise we all play lobby cheese and scramblers and we not want that. 

long live madden and pfl:rock:

• Like 3

• Group:  PFL Coach
  • Content Count:  3,707

been on site for a while now started with carlos doc pilks magical mr rich now theirs a blast from past. 

dolmite lol grumpy fooka and dallas fan. hutts uk and many more i cant remember 

Wright y who i think started it all he still on line at times .. 

was a serious madden player few years back when i use to b decent at madden at times but lost my mo jo but now tryingbto get it back i have more time for madden this season and more

to me admins great job nowt u can do with players dropping all ways gonna happen.. 

b sad day if this site ever folded otherwise we all play lobby cheese and scramblers and we not want that. 

long live madden and pfl:rock:

• Content Count:  1,696

what i really like about this league(s) , forum , set up  is the fact like anything else worth its salt it ALWAYS rebounds rebuilds whatever you wanna call it  ..because there is a very good core of people that care about it ..ive only been around here since 2012 and had to take some time out a few years ago becaue of personal predicament

• Like 1

@DaBurg864

Vondia is right re the trades

The reason a noobs trades are looked at in more detail are due to several factors

Do they know what they are doing, are they getting ripped off, do they understand the salary cap etc

What if they quit, will that trade effect someone wanting that team etc

• Like 1

Nice post @PatsUK. Many good points.

I actually had a spare few hours prior to the Pro 8 season starting and thought about doing a preview. But I realised there were A LOT of people I'd never played and didn't even know. This goes back to @SnapDan point earlier about turning up and playing a stranger due to not seeing them on the forum much.

Maybe it's because I've just switched from the Pro8 from the Pro10 last year, maybe it's because I'm not on the forum myself as much as recent years. I don't know.

• Like 2

• Group:  Chief Executive
  • Content Count:  4,572

Website is great and the admin of fixtures etc is really good.  Zero complaints and a pat on the back for you guys.  

Maybe people got new games at Xmas and their interest in those will die off soon.  I am run off my feet work wise personally but trying my best to fit everything in.  Maybe in February once the superbowl is done and Fantasy football slows down people will be looking to come back or new players join.

:pfl:

• Content Count:  3,394

I wouldn't worry about down numbers, it happens with each and every madden around this time.

I've been here since day one, and have been a member since the old days of the CGN site...the days before Madden CFM. We used to draft our teams and leagues were set in motion. No drafting rookies...you had your team and that was it.

I'm can safely say that I am the longest serving member now madden wise, and have seen it all.

Like the recruitment of Trooper, Doc, Pilks etc from their old site to here, that in itself was a huge move as they were part of a great site back then.

When it did get quiet..we always went in to recruitment mode. That always worked. 

This is no different guys. Everyone is still wanting to play...and I don't think there can be a bad word said about any member of this site.

All the admins are doing a grand job, no one ever said being in charge of a gaming site would be p**s easy..I should know...I've been there.

Keep doing what you're doing guys :up:

• Like 4

Thanks for all the feedback today guys those that have posted. Lots of good suggestions and ideas that we will look at either implementing or discuss.

But I think we ALL need to remember that the leagues are only as good as their members participation, Things like match reports, twitching games and banter posts all add to the experience. I'll hold my hands up and admit I've missed a few match reports recently and will look to correct that.

In regards to the weekly "quick hits" yes it was good to read but it is time consuming and it's even harder if there's no match report to go off. If people post reports we can look at bringing this back.

We had a Facebook page, no one used it!

In the future we could possibly look at integrating GroupMe with the site as well, other sites use it in conjunction with a web site and it seems to work well. It also works well with Daddyleagues. But this is only a suggestion.

We now as an admin team will be trying to actively recruit again see if we cant boost the numbers back up

• Like 3

• Group:  Site Manager
  • Content Count:  3,109

Love this place, enjoy having quality games against most of you. I do wish i could devote more time to the community, but with everything else that goes on in life i spend half my time working, a good percentage on the blastard phone checking this site, the world in general and other interests, then my kids.. It did feel that way hence my participation is down, i spend more time with the kids and once folk go to bed i get the old phone out.

There is nothing wrong here at MaddenPFL, life has just taken over after Christmas. MaddenPFL has everything you would want in a community and you admins do a great job (i wouldn't do it), games are as good as ever, Madden 17 is the best yet. One thing i would take into account as far as a suggestion, you look at the start of the franchise and you can guess who will quit the league (thats not a dig at anyone!) 

• Like 3

• Content Count:  3,213

7 hours ago, TopLoader said:

One thing i would take into account as far as a suggestion, you look at the start of the franchise and you can guess who will quit the league (thats not a dig at anyone!) 

How very perceptive. It doesn't sound like a dig at anyone at all :lol:

• Group:  Site Manager
  • Content Count:  3,109

13 minutes ago, Sovoth said:

How very perceptive. It doesn't sound like a dig at anyone at all :lol:

Way to troll

• Content Count:  2,559
  • Timezone:  Europe/Dublin

I enjoy the site and the playing game's, sure I've probably lost more game's then anyone else on the site, but it's the banter during game's and in the forum that makes it so worth while, I remember when I joined first I was going 0-11 and played against my divisional rival for the first time and he told me keep going there great bunch of lads when you get used to them and @RainbowDoc was right, sure I get annoyed when I lose some times but that's on me for doing a stupid mistakes that blew a game or a total collapse and not my opponent, 

Don't think it has anything to do with the admins or commishs that numbers are dropping, they have been doing a great job on running both franchise's and had great intentions with the head to head league, but interest just disappeared rather quickly for it, which seems to have become in a normality in everything now, so I think say keep patient snd thing's will pick up, don't worry I'll still be around to pick top two in Madden 18 :pfl:

• Like 3

• Content Count:  4,129
  • Timezone:  Europe/Dublin

Given its been a while since i played, I do drop by the site every few days.

I'd agree with @Riverman I think the shoutbox should come back. The experiment has failed imo, it has done anything to post count from what i can see and its a great way to get people engaged.

I'd agree the quick hits, draft previews etc were all fantastic but with them gone there's less stickiness about the site. Also CPU games are s**te, no one wants to play 

• Like 3

• Content Count:  1,922

2 hours ago, tripperman28 said:

I enjoy the site and the playing game's, sure I've probably lost more game's then anyone else on the site, but it's the banter during game's and in the forum that makes it so worth while, I remember when I joined first I was going 0-11 and played against my divisional rival for the first time and he told me keep going there great bunch of lads when you get used to them and @RainbowDoc was right, sure I get annoyed when I lose some times but that's on me for doing a stupid mistakes that blew a game or a total collapse and not my opponent, 

Don't think it has anything to do with the admins or commishs that numbers are dropping, they have been doing a great job on running both franchise's and had great intentions with the head to head league, but interest just disappeared rather quickly for it, which seems to have become in a normality in everything now, so I think say keep patient snd thing's will pick up, don't worry I'll still be around to pick top two in Madden 18 :pfl:

Tripper and guys like him are the absolute salt of the site . Trust me when I say nothing s changed and the site will be fine . Numbers will alway fluctuate. ROOAAARRRR ;)

• Like 2

Just to come back to this. Someone made the point in this thread about the old awards / trophies we used to have next to our profiles.

What happened to these? They were a great addition and I know when I came over here for the first time, I was mad keen to get one. Can we re-introduce them?

• Like 1

Not compatible with the new software

Yeah I've asked about this before but doesn't seem to work with the new software.

We could do a sort of PFL Honors wall with all the winners on it, and runners up? What you think?

• Like 4

do it

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, RamsDan said:

Yeah I've asked about this before but doesn't seem to work with the new software.

We could do a sort of PFL Honors wall with all the winners on it, and runners up? What you think?

Yeah. I think we need it. A lot of history on this site. Would be a shame to lose it.

• Like 3

• Content Count:  2,169
  • Timezone:  America/Los_Angeles

Customs and Traditions are a great way to generate pride in a community and oneself. :up:

• Like 3

• Content Count:  2,767

#lifestuff

50 minutes ago, Ramburgers said:

#lifestuff

Or getting beat by me and never been seen again 

• Like 3

• Content Count:  4,457

All goes to pot without me :lol:

But I'll be back soon when I'm on my regular shift pattern.

• Like 1

• Content Count:  2,169
  • Timezone:  America/Los_Angeles

9 hours ago, HLR Milo said:

All goes to pot without me :lol:

But I'll be back soon when I'm on my regular shift pattern.

#makePFLgreatagain:lol:

Edited by DaBurg864

• Content Count:  7,318

On 18/01/2017 at 0:18 PM, helimachoptor said:

Given its been a while since i played, I do drop by the site every few days.

I'd agree with @Riverman I think the shoutbox should come back. The experiment has failed imo, it has done anything to post count from what i can see and its a great way to get people engaged.

I'd agree the quick hits, draft previews etc were all fantastic but with them gone there's less stickiness about the site. Also CPU games are s**te, no one wants to play 

Clearly me and you were propping up the site Keith :shades:

• Like 1