Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Beyond The Game    1,438

Ok it seems I have joined the new fad of running.

Started running last week - going for about a half hour after work 3 times a week with the goal being to lose some weight - so far not to bad I've lost about 2kgs (although I don't know if that just the scales making me feel better)

Anyone else running? Doing a Park Run?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
PatsUK    851

Fair play to you mate good luck keep smashing it dude :up:

Most of my mates all do or have done running including marathons thing i would say is make sure you have a proper pair of running trainers as it can be hard on your feet/legs doing it regular, as for me i could never get into running just bored the hell out of me didnt find it stimulating enough to get past when i got knackered to carry on, whereas weightlifting (even though im weak as lol) and martial arts keeps me in relatively good shape and i want to carry on when im getting tired instead of just giving up.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Beyond The Game    1,438
12 minutes ago, PatsUK said:

Fair play to you mate good luck keep smashing it dude :up:

Most of my mates all do or have done running including marathons thing i would say is make sure you have a proper pair of running trainers as it can be hard on your feet/legs doing it regular, as for me i could never get into running just bored the hell out of me didnt find it stimulating enough to get past when i got knackered to carry on, whereas weightlifting (even though im weak as lol) and martial arts keeps me in relatively good shape and i want to carry on when im getting tired instead of just giving up.

So far I'm doing a 3km "run" after work 3 times a week.

If I can do 3km without stopping that is my goal at the moment.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
PatsUK    851
Just now, Beyond The Game said:

So far I'm doing a 3km "run" after work 3 times a week.

If I can do 3km without stopping that is my goal at the moment.

Thats good for just starting up mate keep going im sure youll get there and youll be setting a new goal before you know it!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Joe    2,232

Yeah, I've been running for a while now, get a buzz out of it now when I used to hate it when younger

I do a short one 3 or 4 times a week which is pretty much exactly a mile to the gym as my warmup, and then a longer one on Tuesday and Thursday mornings which at the moment I've topped out at 5km, mainly because I still have a full day of work to do and can't really commit more than half an hour. My aim right now is just to bring my 5k time down to something a bit more respectable, I clocked 27 mins yesterday. Not really sure on a long term goal with the time constraint, I guess getting faster and then pushing to 7/8km 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
helimachoptor    579

tbh i hate running, I used to run long distance in school (5 and 10,000 metres) but I hate it now. I havent run (bar football related running) in a long time.. i plan to keep it that way!

Prefer cycling. 

One of the guys i work with does Ultra Running, its mental he goes off a few times a year to do these mad events of 100km or longer in some cases, bonkers!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Coco0981    42

Running can be quite addictive when you get in time it. I took up running about 7 years ago after not having played any sport in 10+ years. Did a lot of it for 4 years, less so last 3 cos of kids etc. Still get out before work for 5 miles 2/3 times a week. Prefer a long cycle at the weekend. Best advice I got when I started running was to "run as slow as you can, for as long as you can", but then I was completely unfit when I was starting. Yet 6/7 months later I ran a marathon so you can build up fitness quick enough

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Joe    2,232
14 minutes ago, helimachoptor said:

tbh i hate running, I used to run long distance in school (5 and 10,000 metres) but I hate it now. I havent run (bar football related running) in a long time.. i plan to keep it that way!

Prefer cycling. 

One of the guys i work with does Ultra Running, its mental he goes off a few times a year to do these mad events of 100km or longer in some cases, bonkers!

 

They do an ultra triathlon near me in the summer, a 2 mile lake swim, 160 mile bike ride followed by a marathon :lol: 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
helimachoptor    579
2 minutes ago, Joe said:

They do an ultra triathlon near me in the summer, a 2 mile lake swim, 160 mile bike ride followed by a marathon :lol: 

that is nuts, but i have a couple of guys i know do Ironmen, fair play to them its a great achievement but not for me, I could knock out 200km on a bike, but i wouldnt enjoy it.. how they do all of them i have no idea!

A guy i played footie with used to run 10km to our game, play the game, run home, he did the running version of the Paris-Dakar rally (no idea what its called) but basically runs across the Sahara carrying everything you need, he survived :lol:.. but iirc he was the top placed Irish/UK guy.

 

However he did tell me that, he was doing the Amsterdam marathon and s**t himself :lol::lol:

 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Joe    2,232
1 minute ago, helimachoptor said:

that is nuts, but i have a couple of guys i know do Ironmen, fair play to them its a great achievement but not for me, I could knock out 200km on a bike, but i wouldnt enjoy it.. how they do all of them i have no idea!

A guy i played footie with used to run 10km to our game, play the game, run home, he did the running version of the Paris-Dakar rally (no idea what its called) but basically runs across the Sahara carrying everything you need, he survived :lol:.. but iirc he was the top placed Irish/UK guy.

 

However he did tell me that, he was doing the Amsterdam marathon and s**t himself :lol::lol:

 

Everyone's wired differently I guess. My wife's friends husband does triathlons and trains loads, she moans like f**k that he basically has no time to do anything with their kids because he's always out on his bike

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
SnapDan    1,032

Never been one for running unless I'm chasing something... Or being chased :lol:

Much prefer swimming, waterproof MP3 player, girls half naked what's not to like :lol: I remember the first time I went swimming to exercise was in around 30 minutes, thought this is nothing how do you get fitter doing this, then I got out of the water and could feel everything burning! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
DaBurg864    851
2 hours ago, Beyond The Game said:

Ok it seems I have joined the new fad of running.

Started running last week - going for about a half hour after work 3 times a week with the goal being to lose some weight - so far not to bad I've lost about 2kgs (although I don't know if that just the scales making me feel better)

Anyone else running? Doing a Park Run?

I run 5k or 30 mins which ever happens first on Monday/Friday, play 45-hour full court basketball on Wednesday and do weight training and calisthenics three times a week.

I only like running when there's a ball involved. But my job makes me so there's that, lol. 

Always found running without playing some kind of sport to be boring as hell. My only caveat would be doing obstacle runs, those are fun as hell.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
shanew1705    117

I do running mainly in the gym to stay in shape, though I hate it with a passion.

Keep meaning to get in the swimming pool as think that's better all round and works the core too, or buy a bike via the cycle 2 work scheme but not got round to either yet

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
dr_volki    845

used to run a lot when i was younger... have tried it a couple times in recent years but gave up as i just couldn't run at the same speed as i used to :lol: 

have taken up climbing in recently instead to sort out my back and knee issues :rock: 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Coco0981    42
15 hours ago, helimachoptor said:

that is nuts, but i have a couple of guys i know do Ironmen, fair play to them its a great achievement but not for me, I could knock out 200km on a bike, but i wouldnt enjoy it.. how they do all of them i have no idea!

A guy i played footie with used to run 10km to our game, play the game, run home, he did the running version of the Paris-Dakar rally (no idea what its called) but basically runs across the Sahara carrying everything you need, he survived :lol:.. but iirc he was the top placed Irish/UK guy.

 

However he did tell me that, he was doing the Amsterdam marathon and s**t himself :lol::lol:

 

Was doing a half marathon one time and a lad who trained with the same group as me got the urge to go there and then. Instead of jumping into a field alongside the course the dirty b*****d pulled down his shorts at the side of the road and s**t right there. Pulled up shorts and continued!!

He was a bit of a bitter in general though 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×