SnapDan

Glory Hunters Everywhere

SnapDan    1,033

I'm sure this kind have thing will have been done many a moon ago, but thought might be good to hear some stories about why people follow the NFL/College teams they do, I imagine no one supports their team because that's where they were born with the exception of a couple! 

I'm a seahawks fan, no real investigating went into to it like some people do, first game I watched was the Seahawks v Bears in 2010. Seahawks had never won the superbowl and the bears had. I didn't wanna be a glory hunter so went with the Hawks... Funny how it works out :lol:

What about you guys 

• Like 1

dr_volki    845
9 minutes ago, SnapDan said:

I'm sure this kind have thing will have been done many a moon ago, but thought might be good to hear some stories about why people follow the NFL/College teams they do, I imagine no one supports their team because that's where they were born with the exception of a couple! 

I'm a seahawks fan, no real investigating went into to it like some people do, first game I watched was the Seahawks v Bears in 2010. Seahawks had never won the superbowl and the bears had. I didn't wanna be a glory hunter so went with the Hawks... Funny how it works out :lol:

What about you guys 

stop lying about the year. we all know it was 2013

143450d1421798690-anyone-else-sick-seaha

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

DaBurg864    851

I'm from small city in northwestern South Carolina. I was in to baseball up until the age of 10 when they announced we'd be getting an NFL franchise called the Carolina Panthers. 

I was excited and got hooked when I went to their first training camp at Wofford College which is only about 20 mins from my house. 

Been a fan since day one and been lucky enough to watch them lose two SB in their 22 years as a organization 

:panthers:

• Like 2

dr_volki    845

posted it in the group chat.

the first madden team is was given were the saints....so watched a bit of those but never really enjoyed it.

then next madden i was mocked the packers by @Joe and after reading up on them about the franchise being the smallest market and owned by everyone living in GB. also wisconsin has a high population of germans immigrants :rock: 

final nail in the coffin was watching Rodgers :drool: 

• Like 3

Burnzee Boyee    581

For anyone who doesn’t know me, or has been living on the moon for a decade or so

Or just plain don’t GAF  :lol: I’m a Chicago Bears fan.  :bears:

Have been since 1984, when Channel 4 started showing the games as a regular feature.

It was their D that got me hooked and on the way they used the mighty ‘46’ back then to become an almost unstoppable force and continue the Monsters of Midway tradition.

yeah we have 2 SB appearances, with one win being in Super Bowl XX over the Patsies

but their my team, I love their history, and having the NFL’s longest standing rivalry with the Fudgepackers

• Like 2

viphubblewiffle    356
3 minutes ago, Burnzee Boyee said:

For anyone who doesn’t know me, or has been living on the moon for a decade or so

Or just plain don’t GAF  :lol: I’m a Chicago Bears fan.  :bears:

Have been since 1984, when Channel 4 started showing the games as a regular feature.

It was their D that got me hooked and on the way they used the mighty ‘46’ back then to become an almost unstoppable force and continue the Monsters of Midway tradition.

yeah we have 2 SB appearances, with one win being in Super Bowl XX over the Patsies

but their my team, I love their history, and having the NFL’s longest standing rivalry with the Fudgepackers

Pleaseeeeeeeeee tell me that you saw them at Wembley .... the proper original Wembley

Fridgeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Burnzee Boyee    581

I was, as an early christmas present, talk about phenominal...oh yes. I still have toi go to Chicago though.

ZoSo    713

Started watching the NFL after playing Madden. Wanted to follow a team, considered the Ravens and the Packers but that was the year they won the SB and didn't want to be a glory hunter. 

Drafted Daryl Washington in an IDP league and became a fan of him and that defence when Peterson was drafted. Been a fan of them ever since, thankfully they are more exciting to watch now. 

• Like 1

DiodeX    2,006

Umm, Giants, my pal was into Football before me and was a Skins fan, I had to go from a team that played them. Also, LT56, what a beast.

• Like 2

shanew1705    124

I'm off to work in half hour and honestly don't think I would have enough time to write what I need to, or without being frowned upon after by everyone  :D

dr_volki    845
15 minutes ago, shanew1705 said:

I'm off to work in half hour and honestly don't think I would have enough time to write what I need to, or without being frowned upon after by everyone  :D

you the guy that changed from panthers to giants?

:huff2:

:lol: 

• Haha 2

DaBurg864    851
34 minutes ago, shanew1705 said:

I could think of one person that'd have something to say:panthers: >:giants:

#gutted

Ken2Blitzkrieg    467

as everyone knows im a 49ers fan .. remembering when world of sport would show some highlights in the 70s of the superbowl the following weekend (i can still remember the name Staubauch, even thou in the 70s wasnt as interested ) , Channel 4 then opened and showed the Skins v Dolphins superbowl stayed up to watch and was hooked , the shirts began hitting the sports stores (dixon sports) , most of my friends jumped on the skins , dolphins , raiders , cowboys...i at the time chose the 49ers to not wanna follow the others  ... the start of the next season a friend of mine mentioned about the AFRATS that if you could get a decent signal on the mw they broadcasted the games live .. so my sunday nights were taken up from 6pm and closing up just after midnight , the first 49ers game i caught on there was a right shoot out with the Rams at anaheim stadium  ,even thou the signal had this knack of drifintin off into opera at very big parts in any game lol

then followed the weekly highlights show that was shown on a sunday the following week , known the scores already it was meerly to watch any highlight of my team , then we had first down weekly mag and others get printed , watching the niners over run Marino and the dolphins in XIX was immense my fave player from the old guard was Dwight Clark , then finally got to go to my first game American Bowl Rams v Broncos pre season , the following year finally finally got to see the 49ers twice once in wembley against the dolphins in the american bowl , then in the september week 3 against the falcons niners coming off a 2-0 start were battered by the falcons absolutely gutted but id finally got to candlestick park  and alot of the roster were still there Montana Craig Rice Lott etc

We returned to California two years later for holidays and manage to grab two games this time ... Week 2 against the Redskins followed by a week 3 game against Atlanta ..this time finally seeing my team win on both occasions thou the falcons game was a lot tighter than you would have thought ..Caught them again at wembley in 92 against the Skins , also against the Broncos in 2010 and Jaguars in 2013 , i also thru holidays in california managed to catch them four more times in the bay against in 96 , the falcons once again in 98 , Cleveland in 2003 and my final time in California was in 2009 against the Seahawks , i did go back in 2011 but the relationship i was in it was never gonna happen to travel up to SF from LA for the game and back ..was gutted

• Like 3

Coco0981    42

Hey

Used to follow NFL highlights on RTE (Irish TV station) back in late 80s/ early 90s but didn't follow a team. They stopped showing it and as we only had local TV i didn't see NFL again till early 2000s. Went to Boston on a j1 after patriots won their first title so could have gotten sucked into that great big Irish abyss but didn't take to them 

I always had a soft spot for the city of Seattle as i loved the TV program Frasier which was set in Seattle. Also a band i liked, Presidents of the United States of America who were from there. Go Hawks 

• Like 1

Ken2Blitzkrieg    467

As a 49ers fan as well the losses for me that hurt the most were probably Montana gettin knocked out the game by Jim Burt when parcells went on to a 49-3 div play off win , the following year when the Vikings exploded to victory in the same game  losses to the packers and giants in that nineties period. And finally the loss to Seattle in the championship game. Still Say the official got it wrong and the punters planted foot was hit by the Seahawk but that's history best passes Montana to rice against the giants in the meadowlands and a Montana play action pass I'm 87 in Cleveland Monday night game and it even fooled the tv crew 

• Like 1

Vondia    678

I'm a Texans fan as you guys know! First 2/3 years following the NFL I couldn't decide on a team. There were like a group of 6/7 teams I all liked. Then I forced myself to make a pick and it wasn't long after I watched the Texans in Hard knocks. Really liked the team as well as the coach and therefor went for the Texans! Noticed that like in any sport watching it becomes 5/6 times more fun once you really support a team.(the nerfes during playoffs are unreal!) Really hope either Savage or Watson pans out and we can get a SB ring while this defense is still in its prime. Don't think there's a player in the league more deserving of that ring than JJ Watt! #WeAreTexans :texans:   

(Secretly also support the Browns cause the movie draft day got me hooked on the NFL and everyone loved an underdog:lol:)

• Like 1

Winti26    481

My interest in the NFL started with the Madden 10 Demo (yeah that was a time where the big game studios still released demo versions). My Brother and I played a lot of this demo and decided to watch the Superbowl which was soon after we discovered the Demo. The only teams I knew where the Cowboys and Giants(who were the only playable teams in the Demo). If I remember right in the German pregame show they only talked about Peyton and how great he is and that the Saints are the outsider in this game. So I choose to support the Saints in this game and never changed since.
After this super bowl I started to inform myself more about the NFL and with Madden 11 and the announced Connected Franchise (or whatever the name was back then) I joined this Site. 

• Like 1

Hulldolfan    195

Been an NFL fan since the mid 80's. As a 10 year old I mainly used to watch the Sat morning highlights show on channel 4 initially. My first game I watched live was the Bears v Pats Super Bowl and I was hooked right then. The following season, much to my parents annoyance, I used to command the tv on a Sunday evenings to watch every live Channel 4 game. Not wanting to be a glory supporter (I could have gone with the bears) I decided to plump for a team that wasn't the best, but had a little swagger about themselves and plumped for the dolphins. I had many a great year watching Marino strut his stuff but things have been a little hit and miss since then. 

Also had many a night glued to Armed Forces Radio, was a subscriber of First Down for years and also signed up to Pontel for about 4yrs where you got a dvd of the Sunday game delivered by the following Thursday.

Because of the time frame I got into the sport, I still have a soft spot for the bears and also the rams. They were the lovable losers in the 80's and I loved their uniforms but didn't like them at all whilst in St Louis, but since their return to LA I'd like to see them do well.

• Like 3

Hulldolfan    195
9 hours ago, Burnzee Boyee said:

I was, as an early christmas present, talk about phenominal...oh yes. I still have toi go to Chicago though.

Bri you need to do it. I've been to Chicago to see my beloved Cubs and it's a fantastic City and somewhere I want to go again to watch more baseball. Soldier Field is in a great location and was walkable from our hotel which was very central. Worth saving up the pennies for as would have a blast in the Windy City.

• Thanks 1

Ken2Blitzkrieg    467

one of my faves as mentioned above

vipThePacFish    1,171

Rams. Some poor b*****d has to.

shanew1705    124
12 hours ago, dr_volki said:

you the guy that changed from panthers to giants?

:huff2:

:lol: 

12 hours ago, DaBurg864 said:

Damn right he is :lol:

To be fair in my defence, I've not decided what I'm doing right now! Conflicted is the best way to put it haha

dr_volki    845
4 hours ago, shanew1705 said:

To be fair in my defence, I've not decided what I'm doing right now! Conflicted is the best way to put it haha

Plenty of giants fans here already

also @DaBurg864 needs a buddy to talk panthers, so there you go :up:

• Like 1

Mcmanus    1,296

:giants:

in the mid 00's started to get the lads round for superbowl nights

mainly cause it was an excuse for the session

then I heard the NFL was coming to Wembley in 07, so I decided to start following one of the teams that were coming over

I choose the giants over Miami as I had been to NYC and thought there more chance of me going to games and they had a DE born in London Osi Umenyiora

the GMen went on to ruin the Patriots perfect season that year to pip them to the superbowl

• Like 3

Burnzee Boyee    581
12 hours ago, Hulldolfan said:

Bri you need to do it. I've been to Chicago to see my beloved Cubs and it's a fantastic City and somewhere I want to go again to watch more baseball. Soldier Field is in a great location and was walkable from our hotel which was very central. Worth saving up the pennies for as would have a blast in the Windy City.

Its in the list for my 50th in 2 years if all goes well...can't wait.

• Like 1

StueyH111    1,445

I'd only been watching the NFL a few weeks when I decided to buy a ticket to the International in 2011.

The game was Bucs v Bears. Bucs were the allocated home team.

I'd been wanting to adopt a team for a few weeks but hadn't really settled on anyone. Was enjoying watching the Pats and Packers offenses and it looked like I'd just slip into supporting one of them. However I'm not a glory supporting pookeynoodle and I like an underdog! So I started to put down some criteria that I'd like from my team. the 2 main criteria were:

1. I wanted them to play somewhere in America that I might go on holiday: Florida, New York, Las Vegas, California...etc

2. I wanted to support a young up and coming team. 

It wasn't until the weekend of the game that I was down in London at the fan rally and just got really involved in supporting the Bucs. They had what I thought was a good young team at the time and had just gone 10-6 the year before and were 4-2 that season before I went to watch them. 

They had Josh Freeman, Mike Williams, LeGarrette Blount, Aurelious Benn, Aqib Talib, Gerald McCoy (All seemed good young players at the time - some didn't quite work out that way)

Before the game I'd made my mind up I was supporting the Bucs and bought a Josh Freeman jersey before the game. It was a good game but the Bucs lost. (24 - 18 Bears) However I fell in love with them there and then and I remember the point. It wasn't a TD. It was a goaline stop... well several of them in fact.

Bucs made about 6 goalline stands in a row to keep the Bears (Forte) out and keep them in the game towards the end. Every time they stopped them the noise got louder and louder and we cheered and celebrated like it was a TD after they stopped them for a FG. We went on to lose the game and every single game for the rest of the season as well for that matter. Finishing 4 - 12. But I was hooked!

Fire the cannons! :buccaneers:

• Like 4

StueyH111    1,445
46 minutes ago, dr_volki said:

josh freeman, that's a blast from the past :lol: 

The real GOAT!

shanew1705    124
6 hours ago, dr_volki said:

Plenty of giants fans here already

also @DaBurg864 needs a buddy to talk panthers, so there you go :up:

Haha! For me it's more like it'd be good having a place that's cheap to visit so I could go over once a year to watch, a place I'd like to visit too, and where there are other fans to have a chat with etc, I've not committed to moving from the Panthers, just considering my options ha