Jump to content
SnapDan

Madden 18 Thoughts

Recommended Posts

SnapDan    1,032
Posted (edited)

I'm sure most of you are aware the game went live yesterday evening. What do you think about the new game? 

I think graphics wise it a little better and more detailed than last year, some nice added features like the spinning ball on loading screens and a few more real mechanics like when your defender drags a player on offence to the ground it looks a little more realistic. 

Here are some of my thoughts, I know this is a trial and usually to test the errors before the game is released so things could tweak. 

Gameplay,

OL - I tried 6/7 teams all with different strengths and weaknesses, OL doesn't matter again, every team team I've used have had a guy rated under 70 ovr in the team and I haven't noticed a difference in his performance to someone better, I was the bengals who have an OL of 69..72...74...78...77 ratings and was only sacked once. With a 69 ovr LT!!!

QB - Now this is a huge difference, Russell Wilson was 11/13 (only in completions were me trying target passing which both went in the stands :lol:) he didn't over throw once, Andy Dalton had a mixed bag some over throws some dots and then I tried the Jets and the QBs were near impossible to move the ball, simple passes under no pressure like this being overthrown consistently 

http://xboxclips.com/SnapDan/6003ad0b-a520-434c-adbb-aa88d8cdb140

Pass rushing - if you have an elite guy you are going to get tons and tons of sacks, they get through alot no matter how good or bad the OL was in games I played. 

Safeties - if you have good safeties they are going to make plays, I noticed my safeties getting a lot more picks on their own when I had good ones and I think safety could really be a key edition to a good team this year. 

Usering - didn't notice any difference really

 http://xboxclips.com/SnapDan/b9d52786-6fcf-462d-b66e-168352011461

What did you all think? 

 

Edited by SnapDan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
DiodeX    2,006

I could run! I found even with the Giants OL they actually made decent blocks and running lanes, following a guard to the 2nd level was a thing of joy. I seemed to have more control over the HB as well although it did seem a wee bit predetermined as ever on the 1st coupe of steps. OBJ still can't win 1 on 1 balls though.

The CPU is still tough but in the pre season game, the backup Steelers QB feel to pieces late in the game, missing sure WRs etc. Getting sacked must have shaken him up.

f**k me, if I like the 10 hour trail.....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Mcmanus    1,296

only played briefly

but running felt a lot better

as did Defence

got this avo free so will have a good go

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
ZoSo    708
41 minutes ago, DiodeX said:

I could run! I found even with the Giants OL they actually made decent blocks and running lanes, following a guard to the 2nd level was a thing of joy. I seemed to have more control over the HB as well although it did seem a wee bit predetermined as ever on the 1st coupe of steps. OBJ still can't win 1 on 1 balls though.

The CPU is still tough but in the pre season game, the backup Steelers QB feel to pieces late in the game, missing sure WRs etc. Getting sacked must have shaken him up.

f**k me, if I like the 10 hour trail.....

When you joining the arena then?

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
StueyH111    1,445

This target passing thing looks to me to be a bit of a red herring to be honest. I was doing the skills trainer for quite a while last night and testing it.

It seems like one of those things that if you can master, then yeah, it might add something to your game. However, how long it will take to master I don't know. I was using target passing and then also just leading receivers the old way and passing normal and there wasn't really any difference, except you're far more likely to f**k up using the target passing.

I know it's only an hour or so practicing, but I honestly can't see me using it much, if at all. 

Based on my game last night, a good offensive line is going to make a really big difference this year. My Browns offensive line was creating huge holes for me in the running game. Wouldn't be surprised if they tine it down to be honest. Wouldn't mind hearing from someone who's played with a really poor offensive line to see how theirs got on?

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
SnapDan    1,032
35 minutes ago, StueyH111 said:

This target passing thing looks to me to be a bit of a red herring to be honest. I was doing the skills trainer for quite a while last night and testing it.

It seems like one of those things that if you can master, then yeah, it might add something to your game. However, how long it will take to master I don't know. I was using target passing and then also just leading receivers the old way and passing normal and there wasn't really any difference, except you're far more likely to f**k up using the target passing.

I know it's only an hour or so practicing, but I honestly can't see me using it much, if at all. 

Based on my game last night, a good offensive line is going to make a really big difference this year. My Browns offensive line was creating huge holes for me in the running game. Wouldn't be surprised if they tine it down to be honest. Wouldn't mind hearing from someone who's played with a really poor offensive line to see how theirs got on?

 

I've noticed pretty good blocking from OLs of all levels to be honest, I've found it hard to run under 100 yards rather than over :lol:

I've used bengals, jets, seahawks, raiders, Titans, ravens and all had similar results not noticed any difference in OL play. Like I've mentioned before the key thing I've noticed when it comes to trench battles is 85+ ovr DE/DT/OLB are burning straight through. Online games are competitive games mode so maybe that's why elite rushers are coming through but then you'd think of elite lineman couple block them but they don't.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
DiodeX    2,006
Posted (edited)

Something I couldn't do last year! spin. Evan Imgram at TE is going to be a handful for any defence.

Edited by DiodeX

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Beyond The Game    1,438

@DiodeX

From the NFC East Preview regarding the Giants:

"Player to Watch: Evan Engram – I love, love this draft pick – the Giants have been screaming for a top notch TE for a long time ever since Shockey left the team all those years back. They’ve had a few guys come in and do well but not hold down the position solid. Engram is your man – listen to these numbers 90 SPD, 91 ACC 82 CTH and this guy is just a rookie. Couple this with your WR combo and this team has the potential to put people into fits. Manning struggled last year with the long ball as he didn’t have this mid short option now he does and its going to make a difference there as much as is to your Madden Game. Engram = BEAST!"

Who ever wrote this knows his madden #justsaying

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
vipTopLoader    677
Posted (edited)

Did my first draft last night to check it out, also the cpu completed scouting for me throughout the season as I advanced each week and did one hell of a job. 

 

Edited by TopLoader
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Kascade    26

Am I being silly or do the graphics in these screenshots look WAY worse than previous years?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Triangle King    181

You are been silly :D

i really like the improvements, Oline is slightly over powered while cover 3 is useless and yes after playing 3 games with the giants @DiodeX Engram IS a beast

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Shmarky    316

Played 1 game there, Graphics are great, Dalvin Cook is brilliant, Vikings apart from the O Line, are not a bad team, and the beautiful Ball hits reciever in head and pop's 10 feet in the air interceptions are back :up:

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Mcmanus    1,296
51 minutes ago, Shmarky said:

Played 1 game there, Graphics are great, Dalvin Cook is brilliant, Vikings apart from the O Line, are not a bad team, and the beautiful Ball hits reciever in head and pop's 10 feet in the air interceptions are back :up:

yeah I noticed that as well

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Beyond The Game    1,438
10 hours ago, Kascade said:

Am I being silly or do the graphics in these screenshots look WAY worse than previous years?

Inferrior console thats why :up:

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Mcmanus    1,296
3 minutes ago, Beyond The Game said:

Inferrior console thats why :up:

 

if there was a full active ps4 league I would have considered getting it  

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Beyond The Game    1,438
32 minutes ago, Mcmanus said:

if there was a full active ps4 league I would have considered getting it  

We'll get there..... 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Mcmanus    1,296
3 minutes ago, Beyond The Game said:

We'll get there..... 

if NCAA comes back :hyper:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
tripperman28    642
2 hours ago, Shmarky said:

Played 1 game there, Graphics are great, Dalvin Cook is brilliant, Vikings apart from the O Line, are not a bad team, and the beautiful Ball hits reciever in head and pop's 10 feet in the air interceptions are back :up:

What about hitting there hands and bouncing back to a db with his back to it making the catch on a turn :lol:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Shmarky    316
37 minutes ago, tripperman28 said:

What about hitting there hands and bouncing back to a db with his back to it making the catch on a turn :lol:

My reciever just stood there facing the QB, hands apart ready to catch but the ball just hit him in the head, im sure there'll be a patch followed by a patch and maybe another patch that'll still not fix it :ohyeah:

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Ken2Blitzkrieg    467

Played 4 games in franchise mode in Madden 18. Quite a few injuries both sides of the ball anyone else had the same 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
StueyH111    1,445
1 minute ago, Ken2Blitzkrieg said:

Played 4 games in franchise mode in Madden 18. Quite a few injuries both sides of the ball anyone else had the same 

Yes mate. Lots of injuries too. Averaging at least 2 a game. However a lot of them are just for the game. Only had 1 lasting injury after 4 games.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
SnapDan    1,032
On 18/08/2017 at 8:28 PM, TopLoader said:

Did my first draft last night to check it out, also the cpu completed scouting for me throughout the season as I advanced each week and did one hell of a job. 

 

I simmed a season too and did a draft was happy with my first pick wish I had him in the PFL :lol:IMG879947249.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
SnapDan    1,032
Posted (edited)

Did a draft earlier and had a QB sent from the angels... I didn't get him though :lol: I can't get the picture to turn round haha

 

Edited by SnapDan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Cardy    253

Jukes / spins actually work :rock:

I've managed to pull off a few brilliant kick returns / RAC runs - last year it all felt too samey - Now it feels like the best players matter

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
SnapDan    1,032

Yeah I'm loving how easy it is to move and change direction, scored a corker! 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Cardy    253

Anyone else finding that User fumble recoveries aren't being credited to players in CFM?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I had my first run out with the Raiders last night in an offline franchise and enjoyed it.  They're going to be a great offensive team but the D will need to be reinforced, particularly the D line.

The CPU stick skills are immense; I got spun, juked and dodged all over the place.

Injuries seemed to be more prevalent with 6 players going down in the first half alone.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
helimachoptor    579

Played a bit over the weekend, biggest real concern is release from the Titans WR's they never seem to be able to get that yard past the CB and get away from him, some XP needed. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Shmarky    316

Played a couple of games with the Vikes over the weekend, Bridgewater, The RB's and WR's are very good, the O Line is absolute mush, cant block anything, and the defense despite been highly rated are fairly average, D Line got no sacks, and Rhodes and Newman were easily got passed by the WR's.

Could be a tough season ahead.

Edited by Shmarky
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
trooper uk    386

Dropped passes by wrs seem to b as bad as ever really is a ball ache this slightest touch they down the ball 

elite pass rushers will do well in this version played earlier v tunners and Cameron wake was like a hot knife through butter was immense at the pass rush...

a very good qb is a must otherwise it's hard work graphics seem to be a tad better if that's u thing ,

running game is decent at times trucking seems to be back in a big way and the runners seem more fluid .

some new additions like long shot not used it yet 

only thing like I said is dropped passes really is a p**s off making pass after pass and most time it's dropped or tipped and picked ......

screens are hit n miss as they were before kicking seems to b good as in a tad easier .

enjoy

trooper 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Cardy    253

The week one roster update is really shoddy

How can a juggernaut like EA Sports not get confirmed 53 man rosters right :doh:

Only checked the Ravens after this evening's update but they have missed 3 UDFAs who have made the roster in Jaylen Hill, Patrick Ricard and Bam Bradley

They have inexplicably moved Nose Tackle Brandon Williams to LE

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
ZoSo    708

I'm willing to cut EA some slack due to the hurricane hitting Florida. Will be back to EA bashing next week 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×