Week 2 Reports
(Mister Rourke) 17 (Joe) 10
The Broncos welcomed the Texans to Denver in week 2 but were unable to overcome their hoodoo opponents as the Texans clawed their way back to yet again triumph.
The Texans started brightly but an Andre Johnson fumble in the red zone gave the Broncos the ball back and a pick was almost taken back to the house but the Broncos had to settle for a field goal as they went in 10-0 up at the half.
The running game was almost non-existent for the Texans but QB Logan Evans had done well in the first half and continued his good form in the second as he passed for just shy of 300 yards with top targets DeAndre Hopkins and Andre Johnson both having 100 yard games.
The Texans D finally woke up in the second half and did a much better job containing the Broncos offence and Evans fired in his second TD on the day to go 7 up with just under two minutes on the clock but an Osweiler pick deep in to Texans’ territory to put an end to their comeback.
(oXo Ultra oXo) 42-48 (Keanoo)
In stark contrast to last season’s 10-6 borefest, this was a shootout which saw the Vikings snatch victory in overtime but they were made to work hard and come from behind to force the game into the extra period.
The Falcons were 11 points up with less than 5 minutes when the Vikings converted a fourth down in their own half to keep the game alive. Teddy B had a 73 yard scoring pass to Patterson and a 2 point conversion made it a 3 point game.
The Falcons running game had been a reliable source of yardage all day with Devonta Freeman finishing up with 137 yards and a whopping 5 TD’s so a third and short to keep control of the game shouldn’t have been an issue but a resolute Vikings D was able to contain the rampant Freeman and force to punt.
A precision punt pinned the Vikings inside their 5 but the tried and tested Minnesota combination of Peterson’s unstoppable runs and short passing game kept their drive going as they worked their way up the field and an attempted game winning pass was broken up leaving the Vikings to score a 3 pointer to send the game into OT.
The Vikings won the toss and elected to receive. They put together a great drive and drove into Falcons territory when the juggernaut Adrian Peterson did what he does best, breaking off a long run for the walk off touchdown, finishing the day with 234 yards.
(McManus) 21- 24 (Cherries)
In another game which went down to the wire, Cam Newton carried the Panthers across the line to get the win over get the Giants and go 1-1.
A Gano three pointer opened the scoring but a Cam Newton pick was taken back for the score by DRC. He came back with an immediate response however and scrambled in from 40 yards out. The Giants responded well with Foles finding Wilson for the score, but again Newton responded, this time with a pass to Trent Richardson but an option play resulted in a fumble preventing the Panthers extending their lead.
The exertions of the first half showed as the teams traded punts in the 3rd quarter with only a 32 yard fumble by Foles and the resulting setting up a 2nd and 42 on the 1 providing any light relief.
The Giants got their mojo back in the 4th quarter and capped off a great drive with Foles and Wilson again combining for the score but the Panthers wouldn’t lie down, first converting a 4th and 8 and then with just 35 seconds on the clock, that man Cam Newton ran it in on a 4th and 2.
Week 2 Results
Bills (Winti) 16-10 Colts (Kirchoffs)
Bengals (P4ddy31) 7-37 Cowboys (BTG)
Packers (Dr Volki) 3-24 Bears (Useless Skipping twit Buncey)
Jaguars (TottenhamDan) 45-27 Titans (Goonertaff)
Redskins (PerrinV2) 20-38 Eagles (DanMcGrath77)
Saints (Riverman) 10-38 Rams (RamsDan)
Seahawks (Helimachopter) 17-23 Jets (Sparkyr008)
Ravens (MurghBatwar) 10-42 Patriots (Kingjimi84)
Cardinals (Zoso) 22-19 49ers (Sovoth)
Texans (Mister Rourke) 17-10 Broncos (Joe)
Raiders (TJCallingham) 37-10 Chargers (PatsUK)
Browns (ThePacFish) 24-20 Chiefs (OXEVOXO)
Steelers (JA15) 7-38 Dolphins (Rayski)
Giants (McManus) 21-24 Panthers (CherriesFan)
Falcons (OX ULTRA XO) 42-48 Vikings (Keanoo)
Buccaneers (Trimmer) 27-10 Lions (ShatnersBasson)
- BTGs Cowboys continued their better start to the season with a resounding win over Paddys Bengals. Second year QB Jake Taylor was the star of the show with 363 and 2 TDs, while Brandon Browners 2 INTs helped as well
- There was a shootout in Tennessee as the MIA Gooners Titans were beaten 45-27. Zach Mettenburger threw 3 INTs, and they were dominated by the Jags rushing attack as Darren McFadden (140 yards) and Denard Robinson (105 yards) combined spectacularly
- A big game went down in the NFC East where Dans Eagles came out on top over Perrins Redskins. Rookie QB Louis Bray was on point in only his second game as he threw for 157 yards and 3 TDs. The Skins' own rookie QB Garrett Holmes just couldn't match him as he threw 2 TDs and 2 INTs, both are ones to watch over the coming weeks
- Another close divisional game came in the NFC West where the Cards beat the 49ers by a FG. There wasn't much to choose between the stats here, although notably the Cards still won despite Logan Thomas throwing 3 INTs
- The Texans scored an unanswered 17 points in the second half to beat the Broncos in Mister Rourkes first game back. Arian Foster could manage only 9 yards from 9 carries but they were bailed out with the play by second year QB Logan Evans who threw for 293 yards, 2 TDs and 3 INTs
- - One game to watch this week was between 2 improving teams in the Panthers and Giants. Cherries' Panthers came out on top by 3 points as Cam Newton propelled them to victory on the ground, with his 7 rushing attempts garnering 77 yards and 2 TDs, one late on to win the game
- - There was a real shootout in Minnesota, where the Vikings and Falcons forgot how to play defence. Both HBs were on fire, as AP managed 234 yards and a TD from 24 attempts, while Devonta Freeman had 137 yards from 21 carries with a mighty 5 TDs
- An old rivalry was renewed in Week 2, as Mixtrimmer returned from Texas to stomp Shatners down. It could be said that the Lions resorted to old habits, with Matt Stafford throwing 3 INTs and no TDs, but some of the reasoning for that could be put on the pressure that was being brought on him by the Buccs QB rushing. Michael Johnson racked up 4 sacks and 5 TFLs as he continues to dominate
Players Of The Week
AFC Offensive Player Of The Week – Ryan Tannehill QB, Dolphins, 21/27 for 297 yards and 4 TDs
AFC Defensive Player Of The Week – Brandon Spikes MLB, Bills, 4 tackles, 1 sack, 1 INT and 1 FF
NFC Offensive Player Of The Week – Devonta Freeman HB, Falcons, 21 carries for 137 yards and 5 TDs
NFC Defensive Player Of The Week – Lamarcus Joyner FS, Rams, 5 tackles, 1 sack and 2 INTs, 1 for a TD
To return from Week 4 onwards
Road to the Playoffs
To return from Week 9
Week 3 fixtures
Texans (Mister Rourke) @ Lions (ShatnersBassoon)
Jaguars (TottenhamDan) @ Colts (Kirchoffs)
Titans (Goonertaff) @ Vikings (Keanoo)
Buccaneers (Trimmer) @ Saints (Riverman)
Redskins (PerrinV2) @ Steelers (JA15)
Panthers (CherriesFan) @ Falcons (OX ULTRA XO)
Bengals (P4ddy31) @ Ravens (MurghBatwar)
49ers (Sovoth) @ Jets (SparkyR008)
Broncos (Joe) @ Chargers (PatsUK)
Rams (RamsDan) @ Cardinals (Zoso)
Bills (Winti) @ Browns (ThePacFish)
Bears (Useless skipping twit Buncey) @ Cowboys (BTG)
Giants (McManus) @ Packers (Dr Volki)
Chiefs (CPU) @ Raiders (TJCallingham)
Patriots (Kingjimi84) @ Dolphins (Rayski)
Seahawks (Helimachopter) @ Eagles (DanMcGrath77)